Author Topic: Has anyone attended this show?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline eubbie

• New Forum Member
    • Mangy Mutt Game Calls
Has anyone attended this show?
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
There is an upcoming show in Collinsville IL the second weekend in February. I believe it is a traveling type thing, and was wondering if anyone has attended it? I'm not really in the market for any tools, but was wondering if there were booths set up selling supplies, like wood, sand paper, finishes, etc. Any and all input would be appreciated! It does look like there will be some good demos to check out.

www.woodworkingshows.com

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Has anyone attended this show?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
I go every year.  It is fun to see everything, but it is pretty much the same thing every year.  Don't go there looking for good deals, there are very few.  Doesn't seem that most vendors reduce their prices for the shows.  But it is nice to see the better vendors and manufacturers like Carter, Rockler, Woodpeckers, and others.  Lots of nifty demos, lots of stuff for sale.

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Yeah...I've gone to the Collinville show several times, Its a good show, you never know what you'll find. I normally find something to spend my money on.  Ron
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline eubbie

• New Forum Member
    • Mangy Mutt Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
Are there vendors there selling exotic type woods?

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
Cook Woods travels with that show.  Their prices are not exactly inexpensive, but sometimes not too far outside the realm of reality either.  I picked up some nice stabilized redwood burl from them last year.  Selection and moisture content is hit and miss.  As far as the Kansas City show, that's all there is for wood vendors usually.  You can check your city's particular show's vendors list at www.thewoodworkingshows.com to see who will be set up there.

I'd definitely suggest going, as it is a fun time to walk around and see everything. 

Offline eubbie

• New Forum Member
    • Mangy Mutt Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
I'm definately going to go,  I'm just the kind of guy that can't wait to see whats going to be there. I like to have a good idea of what I'm going to do and buy. I'm really looking forward to the demos. I've only been spinning a lathe seriously for about a year and have a lot to learn.  Are any of you going to this show in Collinsville?

bassnfool

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
The club I belong to, "Woodturners of St. Louis", will be doing demos, & I plan on being there.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
I went to one of the woodworking shows in Dallas a few years ago.  Leave your wallet, plastic and checkbook at home, take a designated amount, because they will have a load of stuff that you will want.  Your wants will overload your needs like a flood.  Before you know it you will have spent the allotted money and want more.  Watch all of the demos that you can, you will get the chance to watch professionals do some amazing things with some of the best tools in the world. 

For woodturners an AAW symposium would be a good choice, in the vendor area you would find every lathe you could dream about.  The most exotic woods from all over the world and some of the most expensive.  Demonstrations on how to do things that some of us only dream about. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »

I'd like to go to the show to check it out, but the show in St Louis is the same weekend as the national turkey banquet in Nashville.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.