Author Topic: Need advice on amboyna burl  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Need advice on amboyna burl
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
I'm needing to pick up some really special wood for a couple special duck whistles for a customer, and have settled on ordering some amboyna burl online.  I've never worked with it before, and from what I've read it is a pretty good turning wood.  For my whistles I really prefer using woods like blackwood or cocobolo....Very dense woods tend to allow me to make the sharp edges I need at the sound hole.  I've seen it for sale stabilized (which I know would work), but I don't know how it compares to other woods and of course stabilizing it adds to the cost.  Is it necessary to stabilize it in order for really figured burl in this species to be cleanly turned?  Or will the raw wood compare to cocobolo, bocote, or similar exotics?

Never gave it a lot of attention until I saw a call J.Rode is working on last weekend.  Beautiful stuff! 

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
Re: Need advice on amboyna burl
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
The stuff I bought was not stabilized and has pretty tight burls which turned rather nicely.  I only put CA on the bark inclusions to keep them from flying apart.  I just finished turning two more like you saw last weekend with no trouble.  You might have to put more CA in the holes to help get a sharp edge because you never know with the burls and getting that thin and sharp.  As far as density, without looking at the charts, I would say it compares closer to walnut/cherry/maple than the ABW's or cocobolas.  I did not use it for the toneboards, I slipped some hedge in there for that.  Good luck. 

Jason

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Sometimes I buy it and it's very nice with good density and other times it is a little soft. Most of the Bowl blanks are very wet. If you can find some stabilized then you may consider using that other wise finish the inside to make it more water proof it likes to soak up moisture. I have used it for Turkey Trumpets but I used a oil finish on the inside.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »
The stuff I bought from Bad Dog was unstabalized and haaaaaaaard as a rock to turn.  Should work pretty good for ya.
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
Thanks fellas!