Author Topic: Burnt Finish?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
Burnt Finish?
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
I've been seeing a lot ofpictures of calls turned out of Osage Orange, with a "Burnt" finish.  I think its beautiful, want to try it myself, but have no idea where to begin :helpsmilie:

What are you using?  A torch to scorch it?  While the lathe is turning?
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

ben

Re: Burnt Finish?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
I don't do a lot of burning but I just use a little propane torch and burn what I want light sand and finish. 

Don't get to hot oryou will have cracks show up.

ben

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I use a propane plumbing torch.  Nothing fancy, just a Bernz-O-Matic type.  Sand the call to 220 grit first, then torch it lightly.  I do it with the lathe spinning so I get a really consistent burn on the call.  Some guys do it without the lathe running and that works too.  The challenge, no matter what your method, is getting it burned in a way that fades from dark to light.  You have to be very careful, as Ben said, to keep the call from getting too hot or you're guaranteed that it'll crack.  I use compressed air to cool it down between applications of flame, which usually (not always) helps me avoid substantial cracking. 

After burning it and letting it cool, sand again with 220.  You'll use a lot of sandpaper because the charred wood will clog the paper pretty quick.  Then sand through the rest of the grits you usually use. 

When applying finish, the darker burned spots will really soak up the finish.  So plan for that.  Usually the first coat or two will soak in and not build like it does on the less burned parts, so a couple extra coats will probably be in order depending on what your finish is.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
I haven't tried it myself, but remember reading that some folks burn wood using a piece of leather and friction.  I'm thinking Ron Gould described doing it, but I can't recall if it was an accent ring-type burn or a faded burn. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
I do not have the lathe on when I burn, because the work piece as a whole gets a whole lot hotter before the burn starts showing up when its spinning.  And the hotter the wood gets, the better the chances are of cracking it. 

If you are wanting a harder line, you can use a piece of denim to burn it to where it has a harder line.

The cheap propane torch works great though. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
Thanks all.

I might give it a shot this week.

Got a few Cotton Tail reeds and some Osage Orange that are dying to get together this week, and I really liked that burnt look on the call.

If I have success, I'll post a picture.  if not.....then the kindling box gets refilled.

BLKDOGS

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
If you burn it on the lathe PLEASE remember to clean the dust and chips off the lathe before lighting the torch     be safe and you will love the looks of it.  :bigup:

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »
Great reminder BlkDogs!   :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
OK

Tried it tonight

I think it turned out pretty good.  its a cotton tail squealer.  CA finish (My first).

Didn't set the shop on fire either  :2up:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Jeremy @ Havoc Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Havoc Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
Nice :bigup: good job
Havoc Calls - Custom Duck & Goose Calls

bojiducker

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
good lookin there! I've even friction burned the mouthpiece end and lanyard groove area and then burnt with the torch from there.  the friction burn got a nice, even line to start from.  I used an old leather belt to do the friction burning with.  just my  :2:.  keep at it, burnt hedge is awesome. 

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »
Nice job Major. looks really good. :bigup: