Author Topic: Duck Turkey Totes  (Read 10732 times)

Offline dfaulk

• New Forum Member
Duck Turkey Totes
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
Does anyone have any instructions on how to make turkey and duck totes? I can't find anything on the web on how to make them.  I want to make some for my father for his birthday.  If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Duck Turkey Totes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
This is from my notes  8 loop duck carriers 2 cords 7 foot long X and Y for the flat braid (23/24 braids), 2 cords 4 foot for the core any color with the ends being the other ends of the carriers for hangman noose. Start braid in the center of all cords.

You will also need 8 metal rings, 1" in diameter to tie on  the ends to loop with.  It can be made in a 4 loop carrier by dropping the 2 cords that are 4 foot long and using 2 cords 1 foot for the core in the flat braid.

Without photos this is about as good of info I can do.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »
While on a road trip Friday I took some photos and wrote up a brief instructions on how I make a coyote drag.  All you need to do is shorten the foot cords or you could modify the handle to use more cord by making your core longer,

How to make a quick coyote drag, this one I did while we headed up to Archer City for the Texas Coyote Calling Contest.  This does not include the macrame instructions or as some call flat braid, there are a plenty of those on the net.

Supplies

2 colors of paracord, 2 piece 9 foot long, I used OD green and coyote tan.  For the center core you need one piece 15 inches long, on this example I used black for the center core

First tie a square knot around your 15" core.  Leave 3 tag ends about 2 to 3 inches long.

Photo 1

Then make about 46 to 50 flat braid or macrame knots.  This should give you about 10" of braid, bend it in to a handle so the tag ends meet.  Check for hand fit, if too small add a few more knots.  With the 2 ends together then tie another flat braid knot, pull the tag ends to get a tight fit.  Then do a couple of more knots, it should look like this.

Photo 2

Photo 3

Finish tying knots until you have about 1 inch of the original tag ends left, then use the long tag end to make a loop by tying into the flat braid knots.  The longer black cord will make your loop. finish tying knots to the end.  leave just enough of the loop you made to run the ends of the handle through them.

Photo 4

This shows the loop made by the long end off of the cord used for the core that was braided into the end.   You also will notice the color change, somehow I lost a photo.  Or is it magic.  At this point I usually drop a few drops of super clue on where the drag ends went through the little loop.

Photo 5a

Photo 5b

Finish the drag with hangman's loops on the end. 
Photo 6

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:26:41 PM by dogcatcher »

Offline dfaulk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
Thanks a bunch for your reply, but some of the pictures won't open and i am having a hard time following

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
Sorry I already deleted them off of the hard drive. 

Marvin