Author Topic: New Finish?  (Read 12973 times)

Bill

Re: New Finish?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
They sent my sample out today.It should be here in a couple days

Bill

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »

That was pretty fast Bill.  Did you have to cover the shipping charges, or did they cover that as well?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Bill

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:29 PM »
No B I didn't have to pay a dime they are sending a free sample

Bill

Bill

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
Got my sample to day I will try and get a call spun up tonight and put a coat of finish on it.

In the directions it says 1 liter will cover 300 to 500 sg ft + and they sent me one ounce I am guessing the bottle says 20ml.

There is a warning on the bottle and it says what ever you put this finish on with must be discarded
in a metal container any saw dust wood chips ect.. must be discarded in a metal container it could start a fire.

If I use this finish that means I am gonna have to clean my shop  ;D

Any oily exotic wood must have the oil removed from the surface so this finish will stick
They reccomend Monocoat Raw Wood Cleaner

I am just guessing that alcohol will do the same thing
Once the finish is applied after 12 hours buff with a white pad or lambs wool

Bill

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 07:34:22 PM »
It sounds like it is like Teak or Danish oil finish.  Will be that more durable?  That small amount will probably go a lot farther than you think, if I remember correctly it said only one coat was necessary.  That is where it loses me, but also intrigues me for field grade calls one coat would be a miracle, but for fancy calls it leaves me out.

I wouldn't worry about the warning, that is standard for any oil finish even BLO can start a fire if used rags and brushes are not stored properly.  It is common knowledge to seal it in an air tight container, although I am sure there are fires started everyday by improperly stored oily rags.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »

I ordered some as well, and it should be here in a couple of days also.

Bill, are you gonna apply it on the lathe while it is spinning, or dip, or ??? 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Bill

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Here is a pic of wiping the finish on let it set for 10 minutes and wipe all the excess oil off

The directions say to let it set for 12 hours then buff.I will buff tomorrow evening and post another pic to compare

Right now it is a dull finish but the grain on the wood really stands out.

Marvin
I put just a dab of this finish on a paper towel and had plenty to put on this piece of wood
This call is 3 1/2 inches long.I should have enough finish to make 100 calls  ;D

Big B I spun the lathe by hand when I first put it on then come back 10 minutes later fired the lathe up and wiped the call off with a clean paper towel

Bill

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
It would be interesting to see how water acts on it after you get it all buffed up and all. Say, put a few drops on the call and let it sit. See if it will penetrate or not. See if it stains the wood. It's going to be interesting to see the buffed call when you get it done.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Bill

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »
Will do Braz I will put it to the test

BIll

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
When you applied the finish did it appear to be soaking in?  Is is thick or thin, compare it to Teak or Danish oil if you know?  I am all questions after seeing how the grain came alive.

Marvin

Bill

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
It was thick I can't compare it to teak or danish cause I have never used them.

I wiped the call down with rubbing alcohol let that dry then put the finish on and yes you could see the wood suck it up

Bill

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »

Looks like it is progressing quite well Bill.  Looking forward to the next photos after it dries.

Brian

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »
It is beginning to sound like a winner for one coat field grade calls.  I think I would have a hard time using one coat on a fancy call, that would be like using one coat of finish on a gun stock.   A fancy call is like gun stock it has has to hand rubbed quite a few times to get it right.

Marvin

Bill

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »
Well I buffed it out it has a little shine to it.Makes a nice field grade call finish

But I can't leave well enough alone I like a little more shine
I put a little bit of friction polish on it and this is a shine that I would get with 3 coats

Bill

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
Looks okay.  Do you feel the one coat is really a good finish coat?  It looks a little unfinished, I prefer more of a shine also so if you have to use friction polish on top of it I would be defeating my goal.  I wonder what one coat and then a buff and a wax job would look like. 

The friction polish version looks great, but that is as more than what I want to do for a quick field grade call. 

Thanks for the report, now I will have to think on this method.  It appears that Teak and Danish oil will give the same result with Teak or Danish oil being a local buy an easier option, and they can be used multiple times for good coverage.

Thanks again.

Marvin