Author Topic: New Finish?  (Read 12976 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
New Finish?
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
Check out this site       
http://monocoat.us/index.shtml
It says it is for floors, one coat is the max you put on.  It has to be durable for only one coat could this be a good callmakers finish?  Anybody in Georgia that wants to try it?  The only dealer listed in the US is in Georgia, it would be great if we could have a hands on test with a game call to see what the good the bad and the ugly points are. 

Marvin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:24:29 PM by dogcatcher »
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
Re: New Finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
After reading the hazard warnings I think I'd hesitate using it on a call.
Bonnie K

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
I don't think so, I found this on SMC, and you know how they are about hazardous finishes.  I think the hazard warning shows it to be actually pretty safe compared to some of the others like Deft or the polyurethanes.  If it is being used as a floor finish it has to be safe, or the feds would be all over it. 

Marvin

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
Skin contact may cause irritation.
Abdominal pain and nausea.

I like this part:
This product is not considered hazardous but contains hazardous components.

I don't think I'd use it either.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

Sounds a lot like High School Gym Class to me   ???

Al @ THO

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »

Sounds a lot like High School Gym Class to me   ???

Al @ THO

Maybe that should of read eye contact can cause irritation, swelling and possibly some crying. LOL.
You kill me Al.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
If that is bad try reading this about polyurethane.  http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/assets/MSDS/Polyurethane%20Floor%20Finish%20Satin.pdf

All finishes have hazardous materials in them.  You will find them in lacquers, varnishes, polyurethanes, and the list goes on.  The key is to whether the finish is safe after it is fully cured.  Deft, smells awful, is more as hazardous to use than what the Monocoat stated, but when fully cured is considered food safe.  In my opinion the hazards listed are minimal compared to the polyurethanes and the lacquers.   I am sure lacquer, varnish and the polys may also cause skin irritation, I know that the lacquers will cause problems just from the fumes.

Marvin

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
Here is a safety data sheet for Deft lacquer sanding sealer.  http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/assets/MSDS/Lacquer%20Sanding%20Sealer.pdf

Marvin

Bill

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »
I sent an email to the dealer for monocoat and this is his reply

Bill,
Thank you for your message.  Monocoat oils have no toxic ingredients, so they are safe.  The complete cure time for the oil is 21 days.  In your case it would be best to wait the full cure period before using the calls.  Monocoat also has VOC free exterior oils which are made to handle the elements.  You may want to consider using those with your products.

I am going to get some and give it a try I will post some pics

Bill

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »

Bill, did you go with a colored finished, or just the clear?  That stuff looks interesting.  What was the smallest container that they would sell?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
They are sending me a sample
I explained to them what I was doing with it,and they offered to send me a sample.

Any info I get with the sample I will post here

Bill

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:19:05 AM »
UGH!  I don't think I can wait 21 days on anything.   :o

Kudos to you guys for wanting to give something new a try.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »
Parker you might check what the cure time is of the finish you use.  Cure time is not the same as drying time, most finishes dry long before they are cured.  With most finishes the general rule of thumb is when you can no longer smell the finish it is dry, that does not mean it is cured.  Cured is when all the catalysts/chemicals have done all of their things and are inert. 

Most woodworkers and woodturners go by the smell test, right or wrong it has been used for years and seems to be pretty accurate as to the safety factor.  I know that I have used the smell test to determine if the finish is cured even though I know I that it is not the right method.  Also companies use the longest time as their safety factor, they take into account all of the negatives when considering the time factor.  They figure for high humidity and low temperatures, which in my area is totally off base, we have low humidity and in the summer a 100 degrees is normal. 

My negative on this finish is the one coat with no way to use 2 coats.  I know that it is a floor finish so it has to be durable, but with one coat do you put it on thick and that is it?  Or can you use a thin coat and be finished with it?    I cannot ever remember using just one coat on anything, I think I would feel like I only did a partial finish, then worry about it.

Marvin

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Parker,

I saw the same thing about the 21 days to cure and had the same reaction you did as well.  Marvin is on to something about the drying time vs the curing time.  I don't mind waiting 21 days to cure, but the real proof is in the drying time.  From their website, it doesn't look like the finish really builds up on top of the wood like a Poly or a Spar finish does.  It looks like the finish penetrates below the wood surface more than it builds up on top of it.  My opinion based on this fact is that I think folks will have no drying time issues with this new finish if they can achieve the desired results with a Poly or Spar finish.  I am betting that the Poly and Spar finishes take longer to dry to the touch than this finish does, but that's only my opinion. 

But time will tell, and I am looking forward to Bill's results when he gets his sample.  I may also try to get a sample and ask about the drying time of the finish.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
This is pure speculation on my part, I think it is some sort of oil like finish like a Danish or teak oil.  It must have more "varnish" additives that Danish or teak to take that long to cure.  Also what builder or re modeler would use this if they could not walk on the floor within a reasonable amount of time, 21 days isn't reasonable that would be crazy.  I also read on another site that the cure time is 15 to 21 days.  Which in my opinion is pretty reasonable.

Now for info on the cost, to cover 350 to 500 square feet of floor space the cost would be i the range of $95 to $125, I think those figures are what I read.  No idea as to what quantity that is.  Is that for 1 gallon or 5 gallons or something in between? 

Right now I have no time for experiments, but I will eventually try this finish out.  Why not, I have tried every other new finish that I have run across so I might as well try this one.

Marvin