Author Topic: Duck and Wild Rice  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
Duck and Wild Rice
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Sitting here right now eating a big bowl of this I made up this weekend and man I have got to share this with you although you may have already made this before.
Very easy Guy friendly recipe I like using the crock pot for this one so I can work on calls while it cooks.

Start off with a large crockpot and I make it in a large batch and freeze some of it to take to work for my lunch.
8 duck breast from 4 ducks cut across grain then cube the pieces up.
2 Large Boxes of Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild rice and the flavor packets.
put the rice along with the duck meat in the crock pot and add flavor packets and follow the directions on the box of rice for adding the water.
2 cans of Campbells Golden Mushroom soup along with 2 cans of water.
Here's where I tweak it a little. I add some extra mushrooms can be fresh or canned. I add a little extra wild rice and a couple cloves of Garlic chopped. 6 Bay leaves remove later. Then I just let it cook on high for about 3 hours I check it every so often and add some water if needed as it will soak up all the liquid into the rice.
After 3 hours it is ready to serve.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline tolbndfishin

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Duck and Wild Rice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Havent ever added the bay leaves, and i use cream of mushroom (will try the golden mushroom now, though), but this is a good recipe.  I usually add a couple tablespoons of ground red pepper (crushed would prob work fine too), an onion (or now shallots, cause im on a shallot kick as of late) and have some green onions to add after you put it on your plate.  For those that havent tried this, Larry's on to something here...  :beer:
I had to start making it with chicken unless i have people over cause my wife wont eat duck (on principle.  it has nothing to do with taste   :stickman1: :stickman1:)

I've also fried the duck meat in a little flour in bacon grease first, not to cook completely, just to crisp the outside real good, then put it together in the crock pot.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....