Author Topic: Supercharged my grinder  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Supercharged my grinder
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »
Some of you that know me know that I'm pretty crazy about having super-sharp tools.  I've been fighting with my bench grinder for a long time because it won't run smoothly with my Norton wheels (or any other).  Lots of side to side wobble in the wheels.  I've learned that it is because the stamped steel cup washers that go against the wheel don't mate cleanly with the shaft.  In my search for a cure I learned about CBN (cubic boron nitride) wheels from D-Way Tools.  Some very wise woodturners I know from a woodturning forum really recommended them to me and swore up and down that they would run true, even on my hated grinder. 

So I got one.

This thing is great.  It is 1-1/2"x8", 180 grit.  It is like a big heavy flywheel.  They never wear out, never need conditioning, and they run very cool with very few sparks.  It runs as smooth as silk and only takes off a whisper of steel.  It is much safer because it won't come apart in your face and if your tool slips off the side nothing ugly happens...Not always the case with a matrix wheel.  Unfortunately my Norton on the other side still isn't perfectly wobble-free, but I've shimmed and tweaked it to a somewhat acceptable level for now.  The CBN wheels are mighty expensive but so was buying a new Norton wheel every year or so.  This is the last grinding wheel I'll have to buy (aside from the other side of the grinder, which will have a finer CBN eventually). 

The bad news....$180 plus a $12 machined bushing.  I was nervous about spending that much right up until I put this thing on and turned it on.  Awesome.  I know it is a lot to spend but I highly recommend it to those of you that use your grinder to sharpen.

www.d-waytools.com  He has some pretty good demo videos for the CBN wheels on his site. 

Offline Les Kuesel at Luv Kalls

• New Forum Member
  • Hunt Fish enjoy the outdoors
Re: Supercharged my grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Wow never really head of it.  So you don't ever have to clean the wheel?  I hate the mess when you condition the wheels.  Must be something harder that diamonds.
Les's   Luv-Kalls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
Not sure how CBN compares to diamonds hardness-wise, but he does offer a diamond wheel as well that is a little cheaper and geared more toward hobbyists.  The CBN is what is recommended by him for sharpening high speed steel tools.  I didn't even consider the diamond wheels, as they're only available in 6", and I don't like that much hollow grind on my turning tools. 

Offline tduff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »
Aaron, thanks for posting this. I checked out Dave's website and may have to get one of these.

Troy

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
 :bigup: Nice Aaron.
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.