Author Topic: Box Call Questions  (Read 2349 times)

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
Box Call Questions
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
Good Afternoon Friends,

Iam getting to the point in this craft where I would like to take box calls to a new level.  Right now Im doing mundane boxes where (short Boxes) where I cut out the bottom, cut and glue in the sides, and cut and glue in the end blocks.  They sound good and people that I sell them to kill turkeys with them.  Im a next level kind of guy and have several questions I would love to ask if I may of you experts.

1.  What tool do you recommend to carve the inside of the call ?

2. Is there a template avalible to use to do the checkering?

3.  do you hand carve or use a dremel style carver on the checkering?

4. what do you use for the external finish (is tru oil used on your calls) up to this point I just poly lightly

5.  any hints tricks or tactics that might help

Thanks

Adam

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Box Call Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
Your best investment is the DVD from the Georgia chapter of the NWTF, it is a Neil Cost DVD that pretty well covers it all.  Not sure of where or how to contact them but the info has been posted several times on CCO.  You might just ask the question, I am sure someone will have the info.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Trophy_Taker

• New Forum Member
Re: Box Call Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »
Adam,
      Like Marvin said try and pick up the video from the Georgia chapter of the NWTF. Contact Karen Cavender from the Georgia chapter of the NWTF for info on ordering the video .  Also You can pick up the individual chapters from Branton BerryHill on how Neil made his boxes.  Most use a drill press to hollow out the box and then chisels and a knife to clean it up and tune it.  You could probably set up a plunge router or mortising machine also.  For checkering the call most use a wood chisel and mallet held at about a 60 degree angle and you can make a jig and use a combination square to help set up your lines for checkering.   Hope that helps and here's some of mine.

Matt...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:02:49 PM by Trophy_Taker »