Author Topic: Questions on double reed calls  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Questions on double reed calls
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
I've never really messed with double reed duck calls.  I've focused my efforts on single reeds, as that's what I've always blown.  The other night I tried a double reed in one of my calls and am pretty happy with the results.  Very good sounding, easy to blow call.  Takes a lot less air than the same toneboard in a single reed, that's for sure.  But I'm thinking I might have lucked out a little. 

I've heard of people using .010 and .014 reeds (one on top of the other, not sure which) in double reed calls, and I noted that Echo's double reed inserts are two .010 reeds stacked together. 

My questions are:
1) What, if any, advantage is there to using a thicker reed on top or bottom?  .010" seems to have worked nicely for me so I'm not inclined to mess with it unless there's an advantage or potential for one.
2)  Does it matter where the dimple is?  My dimple keeps the reeds apart but I don't know if there's any logic in having it far back or close to the leading edge. 
3) Is it wise to keep the reeds the same width? 

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
Re: Questions on double reed calls
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
i lucked up and found some reeds that were .12 and have only used them a few times .14 reeds would be way too heavy i would think and it would take a lot of air to move those.  for the most part, .10 is where i would stay.  as far as the width, you'll have to play around and see what sounds best.  echos use the same thickness, but i have seen other calls with a shorter top reed.  on my double reeds, shortening the width of the top reed makes my calls higher pitched.  as far as the dimple, i have never moved it from where i started, so i'm no help there. 

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:01:38 AM »
Well it looks like I'll be TRYING my first double reed tomorrow. Funny how I've been planning this "ultimate" call for my dad in a double reed configuration for a month now and this topic comes up right when I need it. My question is (since I don't have any answers) should I tune it with the single reed first, then when I like that, add the top one and tune them together? Also, when do I put the dimple? Thank God reeds are cheap, because I'm planning on going through a lot of them :wacko: I'm really interested to see what ya'll double reed guys gotta say on all the points brought up. ~Andre

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
Here's my best advice for tuning double reed duck calls.  Tune as you would for a single reed call.  On mine the only thing slightly different is I enlarge the exhaust hole on the toneboard much like for an open water style call.  I'd stick to two .010 mylar type A reeds cut straight and fairly narrow, lets say a half inch.  The bottom reed should be longer and tuned the same as for a single.  The top reed I cut shorter, about 3/16".
Both reeds I cut dogears at 45 degrees.  The dipple should sit approximately 3/16" - 1/4" on the top reed.
The dipple set should show separation between the reeds, but no big gap.  I do mine this way because they have the capability to hiball like a single, yet have that double sound at mid and low ranges.  If one could find some .012 reed material, the heavier reed goes on the bottom.  I find tuning doubles harder than singles, but when I get one right, it seems all worth it.   
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
Thanks Joe.  That clears up a lot for me, especially regarding reed thickness.  You pretty much described what I did to the call...now the challenge is doing it again and getting it to work.z

Offline slider

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »
"If one could find some .012 reed material,"

This right here, sure wish i could find some
like panning for gold in a dry creek

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
I know this is probably not the proper thing to do, but if my reed is too thick and I'm not getting the sound I like, I sand the reed itself with 600grit from the underneath (so the scratches don't show up) just a tad and that has really helped me out. I don't know of anyone else who has done this, so try it and see what you can do. It takes very little sanding to make a sizable change in the sound. Hope that can help a bit. I didn't mean to :hijack: ~Andre

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
I've got .12, and it is almost impossible to get