Author Topic: Care and Maint of the call  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
Care and Maint of the call
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
I sometimes get folks who ask the best way to care for their calls that we send them. I usually tell the to care for the wood as you would a nice piece of furniture with a fine finish on the outside. On the inside, I tell them they can clean it and disinfect it with some sightly diluted listerine. What do you folks think?? What do you tell your customers???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:51:20 PM by Braz »
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Care and Maint of the call
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »
I also tell them to just use some gun oil, like Tru-Oil or even some good furniture polish. I tell them to use a Q-tip and do the inside also. I don't tell them to use listerine, as I have never heard of doing so, have never done it, and don't see the reason. My spit hasn't killed me yet, and don't see the need to disinfect my own calls.  ;D But that's just old dirty mouth me.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »
I sort of figure it like my dentures, the dog don't mind washing them, but I GOTTA clean them after he is done. I like the minty flavor too....alot better than Alpo.....LOL :P
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »
Braz, True Oil is actually a varnish not a polish or wax. 

Way back when I used to recommend Kiwi neutral shoe polish wax, never had any complaints but that is not true now.  So now I just recommend a good dusting and then using a quality furniture wax on the call.  Like what was said, a call is just like a piece of furniture so use what you would use at home. 

Not sure about this but I believe most mouth washes contain alcohol. I doubt alcohol that would be good for a finish.  A slightly damp cloth will get all of the dust and grime off and then a coat of wax should suffice.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

blacky

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
I have always used Scope to clean my mouth diaphragm calls because it doesn't tear down the latex in those calls. I would think that Scope would do good on the other calls as well. It tastes good as well.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
I've never been asked. LOL.. I have an old faulks call that must be 35 years old now and I've never done anything to it except blow the dust out every few years.  ;D 

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »
Depending on a call... I kinda like the old beat up look.  I think it would depend on what your call is coated with. If it has a natural oil finish, clean it with oil. If it has a poly finish, clean with soapy water, it it has a wax/paste finish, use pledge :D.  I tell folks the money peice is on the inside of the call and therefore, don't eat a pack of nabs while in your trying to call  ;)
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
What is a wax/paste finish?  Wax is used to seal and put a shine on a finish, wax by itself is not a finish at all.  I cannot imagine getting a call with just wax on top of the wood, and I sure would not sell one that way.

I did a little looking and mouth wash has quite a bit in alcohol in it and alcohol will affect the finish on the call.  I would recommend using a damp cloth to wipe the call down and then using a quality furniture wax.  The wax will protect the finish and the damp cloth will not hurt the finish.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »
I guess I didn't explain the muthwash well enough earlier, that's my fault. I don't advocate the mouth wash on the finish at all. Like Marvin said, it has alot of alcohol and could damage the finish very easily. The mouth wash is for the tone board and reed parts ONLY. Remember tht cold you had last trip out??? I didn't like it then so a little wipe down on the reed and tone board should help it from re-occuring I hope. Sorry for being a little vague on the question. The mouthwash really comes into play at shows where you alot of folks handling the calls and some even blowing them. I just dip or wipe the reed assemblies to help wth sanitizing them. The cleaning queston comes from the shows too. I've had some turkey calls come back from a show that you couldn't recognize because of the chocolate and lolliepop juice all over them.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline nebo

• New Forum Member
  • Blow's just an expression
    • http://www.myspace.com/nebogamecalls
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:54 AM »
I clean my calls every duck hunt.

Cause I always fall in ;D ;D ;D

Neel

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
I gotta remember not to take a drink when I read your posts Neel. LOL

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »
I tried that at one show but the kids Momma got uset when I dunked her boy and the call in the water tub. I told her I was sorry and wouldn't make the boy hold the call next time....LOL ;)
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008