Author Topic: Goose For Supper's favorite goose recipe....  (Read 2961 times)

Offline gooseforsupper

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Goose For Supper's favorite goose recipe....
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
 :yes:

My wife gets all the credit for this one.  She has used this marinade on lamb for years and one day she said lets try it on some goose!

Armenian Marinade
This is a fantastic marinade for lamb which is also great for geese, duck, beef, or anything else you want to try it on. My friends tell me that it makes goose taste like steak. :hammer:

3 pounds meat cut into 1 to 1 ˝ inch cubes, run a wood shop metal detector over the pieces so you don't bite down on a piece of steel shot and end up with a new $1800 tooth  :1eye:  (Words of wisdom learned the hard way).
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil   
3 teaspoons salt   
1/2 teaspoon black pepper   
1 teaspoon oregano   
1 teaspoon cumin powder   
1/2 teaspoon allspice   
1 whole bay leaf crumbled or powdered
2 cloves garlic minced or pressed

Coat meat with onion and oil. Mix seasonings and sprinkle over meat. Cover tightly and marinate 1 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Then you can package the meat into portions and freeze it until your ready to cook....

This makes a great Shish Kebab, or just throw the meat on the grill. With goose and duck you want the meat to be medium rare. I grill goose cubes in the grill for 6 to 8 minutes and they come out great. Serve immediately right off the grill.

Variation #1: Sauté some jalapeno pepper slices in butter, roll the goose chunk up in a half slice of turkey bacon with a slice of the jalapeno inside. Put a toothpick through it and grill until the bacon is done, about 8 minutes.  I take this to parties and everyone gobbles it up.

Variation #2: In a plastic zip-lock bag, mix flour, basil, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Shake the marinated goose pieces in the bag and then fry them in butter or margarine until golden brown. Like little goose nuggets. Tasty!!

Enjoy this recipe, it makes goose taste great.    :up1:

All The Best!
Doug

Offline gooseforsupper

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Re: Goose For Supper's favorite goose recipe....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
I really want you guys to try this one.  I want some feedback.  :whistling:

Honestly I have cooked goose every which way, but keep coming back to this recipe.  One of my buddies kids "demand" that their pork chops get this treatment....

Offline tduff

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
Doug, this sounds like a great recipe. I will definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Troy

Offline tolbndfishin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
Just found this (started looking through recipes).  I'll give it a whirl and let you know the feedback i get.  I will probably use shallots instead of the onion, cause my crew loves onion flavor and shallots are stronger.  Again, thanks for the recipe.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:57 PM »
Doug, my wife was out of town so I figured something easy for supper.  I pulled out some Doug's premarinated Armenian Duck from the freezer as I hadn't tried it yet.  Good stuff!  Saved some back and tried variation #4 (marinate the meat again in raspberry vinegarette for 6 hours then grill).  All around great recipe sir.   :bigup:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23

Online BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »

This recipe is on tap for dinner tonight!

Doug - one question: for the marinade, is it a liquidy type of marinade, or more of a slightly moist type of rub?  I didn't get a lot of liquid in the marinade.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
Brian, it's more of a rub.  After letting it sit in the fridge for 3 days it will bring the natural juices out.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23