Author Topic: New Finish?  (Read 12937 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: New Finish?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
Yep, sure does look a lot better after the friction polish. How did the water test come out? Or did you try it?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Bill

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »
I forgot the water on the call Braz sorry

Bill

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 09:40:37 PM »

Braz,

On their website, they did their own spot tests, and they claim that water didn't damage the finish after 24 hours.

http://monocoat.us/technical.shtml

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »
Then that sounds like it would work well. After all, we don't get 24 hours worth of water on the calls. Just some now and then.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »

I've got some of this finish coming to me as well.  And I've got the perfect piece of scrap that we can do the water test on as well.  I just wish the finish would hurry up and get here.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »

My free sample came in the mail today.

I had to try it out as well.

So, first I'm going to to do Braz's water resistance test, or at least get it started.  I've got a small board of oak that should fit the test.

Here's a pic of my board, a can of acetone for size reference, and the free can of this finish.

On the board, I sanded the right 1/3rd smooth to 600 grit, the middle third was left rough cut, and the left third was unfinished.

I had a enough left on the applicator pad (folded up paper towel), so I wiped some of the finish on a hedge call barrel that's not quite finished yet.  The hedge soaked it up pretty good, and will leave a real good satin finish on it.  I did spin the blank on the lathe as I applied the finish to it to see how well the finish would apply like a friction type finish.  It worked pretty good and didn't have any issues.  It popped the grain quite well.

I can't quite figure out what type of finish it is by looking in the can.  I don't recognize the smell.  It's not a clear finish, but has more of a melted caramel texture to it in the can.

I'll let it dry for 36 hours, and then do a water spot test on the sample board.

Brian

Bill

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »
B
You got a different type can of finish then I got mine was in a little plastic bottle

Looks like the friction application worked out pretty good

Bill

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
Brian,

How close would you say it is to the consistency of Teak oil?  So far I am guessing it is the closest commercial finish that I use on a regular basis.  I think it is a vegetable oil based instead of a petroleum base, so that might account for the different smell. 

Anybody know what vegetable oil it could be?  Some vegetable oils will turn rancid even when used as a wipe on and then let dry.  I haven't used a vegetable oil for a finish in so many years I have no idea which one it could be.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »

Marvin,

The teak oil I have is Watkins Teak Oil.  The consistency of the teak oil I have is similar to a thin hydraulic oil or a dark vegetable oil - fairly clear, and not as thick as maple syrup.  The monocoat I received is a caramel color and has a consistency closer to maple syrup than the teak oil.

Brian