Author Topic: Cow elk tone boards...  (Read 7070 times)

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Cow elk tone boards...
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »
Hi guys!
I'd like to try to make a few cow elk calls using a tone board similar to an open reed predator call.
Looking for ideas, advice, pictures, etc.
What thickness of reed mylar?
Tone channel/reed dimensions?

Thanks!
Doug

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Cow elk tone boards...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Doug, are you talkinga bout a bite type, like these black plastic ones are, or are you talking about a regular ol' open reed predator call like a howler would be?

On the bite kind, I make my barrels 3" long, and I REALLY flare them out.  The toneboard setup (I'm sure Al has some) is set up for a MT2 taper.  So, typically, that would mean a 5/8" hole, and some kind of modification to either the guts or the barrel at this point for a good fit. 

A good fit on those guts is VERY important to get a good, smooth sound. 

I also like covering the bite part in latex tubing.  It makes for a VERY smooth sound.  You can use shrink tubing too.

If you're talking open reed like a howler, I've got a Primos I was running today that's part of a new bowhunter education kit I picked up today.  Its a pretty good call, and would obviously work as a predator caller too.  I can tell you I'm putting VERY little of the toneboard in my mouth to get a cow elk. 

:up1:  Lots of rambling there......let me know what you've got in mind, and I'll help out more with some specifics.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
If you have a duck call jig laying around, you can start with that.   Just drill the tone channel all the way to the end, and make it smaller, 3/16 is as large as I would go.  

.010 mylar should work.   .014 will work too but be a bit harder to blow and control, but you might prefer it.   Harder to work with though.     Make your barrel shorter rather than longer.   Longer barrels create  back pressure that can cause the reed to have a pitch break or lock up.   Inside barrel diameter of 1/2 or 5/8 will work just fine.

Parker is right, the very end of the tone board will give you the sound you are looking for.  Just try to get a nice smooth ark on the tone board with no flat spots and you should be ok.   After that, it is hand tuning with sandpaper to get it right where you want.

Make sure you cut the end of the mylar reed just so it barely covers the tone channel.   Just barely.  If it is too long, you will lose the high pitch.   Trim it ever so slightly to get it where you want it.  Cutting it so it has slanted corners will give you a higher pitch.   If you have any spare deer grunt or crow reeds laying around, they work great for open reed tone boards.

Keep in mind that the original open read predator tone boards, which the elk calls are derived from, were initially made from old duck call inserts, so that's the way to go.   You could probably convert an Echo insert to work pretty well too.  Just lengthen the tone channel, round of the end of the board to a nice even ark and go kill something with fur.  Or hair....elk have hair right?    

Al @ THO
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:52:33 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Thanks guys, that helps a whole bunch.  I have some old duck call tone boards which I accidentally drilled too far, great place to start!
Why are the predator and elk toneboards so wide?  What difference would it make compared to using a narrow duck call type toneboard?  Just curious... :1eye:

I guess I'll start hanging out on the predator call forum and see if I can learn more....
Funny thing, where I live the coyotes are thick as fleas, but there are no fur buyers around here any more since they banned trapping.  There used to be lots of guys that would buy them fresh in the carcass, but I can't find a single one.  Lots of ranchers want me to come thin them out, but I don't have the time to do all the skinning.   :stickman1:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
I don't think the toneboards have to be wide at all.  I think that's just a style thing myself, or mouth comfort they could tell you.   :rofl:

I just can't see that there's anything GOING ON out there on the two sides, if no reed it touching it, and no air is being moved through it right there.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
Are you guys using castration bands if it's an elk call?  Would one of Al's predator tone boards make a decent cow elk call?  Just curious... :whistling:

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
How about I send you one and you can try it???

Shoot me an address and I will put one in the mail for you

AL @ THO