Author Topic: CA and temp  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
CA and temp
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
My shop is not heated and just curious if cold temps matter when applying CA finish. I don't work out there if it's real cold but anything above 30 is managable. Can I apply at that kinda temp?
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: CA and temp
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
Can't say I've ever tried.  CA glue likes being kept at cool temps, so I seriously doubt it would do any harm.  But I'd sure hate the idea of wet sanding in 30 degree temps!

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
I have not had any problems applying the ca in cooler temps but it doesnt get very cold around here. Im with KC wet sanding in the cold does suck.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
I have not had any problems applying the ca in cooler temps but it doesnt get very cold around here. Im with KC wet sanding in the cold does suck.
Hadn't thought about that guess it ought to be above freezing at least.  :rofl: :rofl: I do have an electric milk barn heater that I set on the bench, makes it tolerable to work if you don't stray too far from it.
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »
I would try to keep it from freezing, I bring all of my finishes inside when the weather gets below 40.  I know some that will be okay with being frozen, but I feel better bringing them inside.  On CA glue, I read somewhere to keep it in the refrigerator and it will stay fresher longer, I have no idea if that is true, but I have some CA in the fridge that opened at least 6 months ago, and it works as good today as it did when I opened it.  Most refrigerators temps are set pretty close to freezing, so does it help?  I have no idea.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
I know that CA arrow fletching glue will last a whole lot longer if you keep it in the fridge.  Can't say if it works the same for woodworking CA because I always use the stuff up long before it has a chance to go bad!