Author Topic: Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System - INFO?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline dedduck

• New Forum Member
Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System - INFO?
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Since i started turning I have been using a buddy of mine's low speed grinder to sharpen my tools since I do not have the room for a low speed grinder in my current shop set up.  I need something portable that I can tuck away in closet after i am done due to my small bench area. (a multi purpose area in my garage)  I hate relying on his bench grinder to sharpen my tools so I need to figure something out.  MAybe I just find room somewhere for a grinder and suck it up  :tt2:

This seems like it could work to sharpen my tools but I have never seen it in action nor know anyone who has one.  Anyone have this or know of any good/bad reviews on it?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMPLUS.html

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System - INFO?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
Never saw or used that rig, but I like the V notch in the tool post,  You could use your face plate and turn a large flat surface and make your own sanding/sharpening disc.  Then free hand sharpen your chisels.  Same concept, just no V support.  That would be one of my choices of way to solve the problem you have. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dedduck

• New Forum Member
Re: Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System - INFO?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
It is a good concept from what I can see too.  I said the heck with it and ordered it last night to give it a shot, only $40 so it aint killing the wallet either.  Ill do a review for everyone once I use it for a while so that other maybe ca n look into this as an alternative :up1:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:24:25 PM by dedduck »