Author Topic: ?'s on turning brass and aluminum  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
?'s on turning brass and aluminum
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
I've seen a few folks make brass calls or incorporate brass into their calls.  I have something up my sleeve that'll require turning brass.  Does anyone know if there's a special "blend" of brass that I should be looking for, or can any brass be turned on the wood lathe?

Same goes for aluminum.  My local supplier has 6061 and 6036 aluminum.  Not sure which is softer, or if either is workable.

Help!!!!  :huh:

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: ?'s on turning brass and aluminum
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
Alloy 6061
           Heat treatable, easily welded,  with very good corrosion resistance and finishing characteristics. Very commonly used for architectural products
        6061-O: Annealed (or "soft", bendable condition)
        6061-T4: Heat treated and naturally aged
        6061-T6: Heat treated and artificially aged
        6061-T65: Heat treated and artificially aged
        6061-T6511: Heat treated and artificially aged

Alloy 6063
           This heat treatable is specifically designed for extrusions, very popular for architectural shapes.
        6063-T52: Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process and artificially aged

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
Alloy 2024
          Heat treatable with high strength, good machinability and fair corrosion resistance. It welds very poorly.
        2024-O: Annealed (or "soft", bendable condition)
        2024-T3: Heat treated, cold worked and naturally aged
        2024-T351: Heat treated, cold worked and naturally aged

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
You don't need any special tolls to turn brass or aluminum , you just have to go slow and not take too big of a bite at a time. Any brass that is commonly available will turn fine, either of the aluminum's you mentioned will machine well. Carbide tools will be a little easier to use, but high speed steel tools will work also, you might spend a little more time sharpening them but they will work fine.....

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
I'm wanting to make an all-brass duck whistle.  Thanks fellas! 

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
I have been thinking about doing an almost all brass duck call as well... just don't know where to get the blank :stickman1: :hysterical: I think it really neat how metal can be incorporated into calls.  I was told to get musical grade brass and 6061 aluminum... I will say, trying to drill the bore is a pain when using metal parts and that is an area you should definitely ask about (I don't have the answer for that) because even my $30 3/4 carbide bit hardly chipped at it :huh: ~Andre
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:08:27 PM by TheDecoyDude »

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Well, an update.  I went to the local metal supply place and scored myself a couple short pieces of 1" brass rod, as well as some aluminum rod in various sizes from their bargain bin.  The brass was not cheap....About $9 for a whistle-sized piece. 

I turned a brass whistle tonight.  The brass drills like a dream.  Just gotta go slow.  Turning it with the carbide tools was very slow going but they did a nice job.  Just takes about four times longer than turning acrylic.  I did have a heck of a time with chatter when drilling the sound holes but it made the holes look kind of cool.  It came out nice.  I still need to make a toneboard for it.  That will be aluminum.  The major downside is that the thing is ridiculously heavy.  I'm guessing it is about 10 ounces or so.  Should've taken more metal off and shortened it up a little.  But I'm big and strong so I'll carry it!  I'm going to handle it a bunch and get it to tarnish ASAP. 

I'm thinking aluminum will really be great for whistles.  At least they'll be lighter. 

I'll post pics when it is finished. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »
If you want to speed up the "patina" or tarnish the brass put a little ammonia on a piece of cloth and stick in a paper sack with the piece of brass.  I think vinegar fumes will also work.  My wife is the expert on this and she is off babysitting.  If she calls I will update, but I do know she uses the ammonia trick.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
Thanks Marvin.  I'll be curious to hear if vinegar works, as I have some already! 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
I forgot about this, she said she thinks it does, but that she uses regular household cleaning ammonia.  Basically the fumes react with the brass to cause it to tarnish.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Mark at Bad Medicine Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
Any pictures yet?  I'm dying to see this whistle!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
x2 Im ready for a picture. Your whistles are always amazing and all brass has got to be insane looking

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
I'm not quite ready to call it finished yet.  I'm going to put it back on the lathe and put it on a little weight loss program.  I'll definitely post a pic when I'm through!

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
we will all be awaiting the photos. I am sure it turned out amazing, just don't get it stuck to your lips hunting with it in the cold

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »
Well the brass one is on hold.  Last night I put it on the endtable of our living room.  This morning one of my kids grabbed it when they first got up (I was in the shower) and put it somewhere, but I have no idea where.  I've checked couch cushions, under furniture and all the other inconspicuous places.  It'll turn up, but who knows when or where.  I'd ask them, but they're at the age that they just speak jibberish.

So tonight I turned an aluminum one.  It turns about the same as brass (6061 aluminum).  I sanded it to 1200 grit and polished it with Brasso, but I intend to beadblast this one to knock the glare down.  Honestly I think it would be really cool to have it anodized, so I may have to look into that before I put a toneboard in it.  Pretty happy with how it came out.  I did get some chatter when drilling the sound holes but it doesn't look bad.