Author Topic: 100% Newbee.....Lathe Question  (Read 11118 times)

Offline RackSticker

• New Forum Member
Re: 100% Newbee.....Lathe Question
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Looks like the closest Woodcraft store is a few hours north of me. A similar store is Rockler  http://www.rockler.com/   That is the store where the guy originally purchased the lathe and accessories. I think he went in there with a blank check and told them to help him get started. They are quite spendy, but they know their stuff. I will check on a lathe class thru them. I look at this lathe and am puzzled at how it is supposed to all work  :eek:

A good friend of mine at work does fine woodworking and agreed to sharpen my lathe tools anytime until I can get my sharpening set up. I need to buy a drill press...just so happens he is buying a new one and has a 3 yr old Grizzly - very low hours - he is willing to sell it to me for $125   http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Floor-Radial-Drill-Press/G7946

As for wood, I am sending Dbroswoods an email now. My son also works at Home Depot and I am stopping by there today to get some poplar sticks. Thanks for those tips guys. I really appreciate all the info.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
That looks like a good deal on then DP and I'd get it if I were you. But don't put off getting that grinder and sharpening jig. He won't be there when you need the tools sharpened. You may think you can just take time to him for sharpening, but once you get to turning you will find that sharpening them several times, sometimes on the same call, depending on the wood, is necessary. You just can't always wait until the next day, unless you quite turning. If you don't keep them sharp, you can blow a nice piece of wood up and make a safety hazzard.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline slider

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
wow that was a great deal, i keep looking at craigslist with no luck, broke down and bought new but your way ahead of the game tool wise for that price

Later
TB