Author Topic: Love Hate Relationship  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
Love Hate Relationship
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
I love my expanding Mandrel and Collet system
I hate that i over tighten it more times that not when flipping the barrel around and crack 2 for every 1 i get completed.  I know its my own fault and i should take more time but it is just frustrating,

On the other hand, i am having fun making crow calls for a change of pace.

Jason

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Love Hate Relationship
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:23:15 AM »
I have to say I've had my expanding mandrels for maybe 4 years or so and have NEVER cracked a call. Why are you cranking down so much? I often times just slip the call on a slightly expanded mandrel so I can turn the end. This is on my double reed predator calls and I have no way to tighten the collet. I drill the end and turn the call, all without worrying about tightening. Takes a light touch, but that's how you should be turning anyway.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
Yep, I totally agree with Braz. I've only cracked one call using the expanding mandrel and it was my first try with it (and it was too thin of a barrel at that). You really shouldn't be horsing the wood to need to tighten it so much... Turn fast and take little bites at a time, at least until you got the corners round. Slow down and think about what you're doing at all times, it could save a finger or a barrel :2: Hope you figure it out ~Andre

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
Are you cracking it when you are sliding the call onto the mandrel, or when you are tightening the set screw on the mandrel?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
I am turning them kind of thin and then when i turn the barrel around, when i tighten the screw, i crack the barrel.  I am just afraid to not have ot tight and to thrown the piece.  I guess form what i have read, i don't need to tighten it much at all.

Jason

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
It doesnt take too much to hold the blank. You dont have to worry about throwing it, just if you hog the wood it may spin a bit on the mandrel but thats easy to fix........ lighten up with the chisles a little.  :rofl:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
I double check my tightness EVERY SINGLE time.  Well, actually triple check if it ends up being too loose.

I pretty much want to be able to take ahold of the headstock in one hand, and the barrel in the other, and be able to ALMOST turn it when pulling in opposite directions.  That's the easiest way to make sure you won't crack a barrel. 

If you still crack it when you're doing this, I'm gonna have to agree, and say you're just getting too thin, and that's not good for the durability of your barrel over time. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls