Author Topic: 100% Newbee.....Lathe Question  (Read 11074 times)

Offline RackSticker

• New Forum Member
100% Newbee.....Lathe Question
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Hi....I've been carving hunting decoys and making turkey calls and now want to migrate into making a few duck calls.

I have a nearly new Central Machinery, (Harbor Freight) variable speed 8" x 12" lathe and am wondering if this is of decent enough quality to get started or should I be looking at a trading up to Jet, Grizzly etc...???

I won't be making bowls or pens or table legs ever, so I don't need to plan for that if I need to purchase a bigger lathe.

Appreciate any advice.

Ken

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: 100% Newbee.....Lathe Question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Ken you don't need a heck of a lot of power to turn a duck call, so your lathe would probably get you going ok.  What's critical is that it has either #1 or #2 morse tapered headstock spindle...Preferrably #2... (with an outside thread of 1x8tpi or another common thread) and a morse tapered tailstock so you can use accessories such as collet chucks, 4-jaw chucks, live centers and so on. 

All that being said, if you get the itch to really take this up as a hobby you'd be well served by an upgrade to a Jet mini or Delta mini lathe.  Their quality and design is going to be significantly better than the harbor freight version.  But I would put my focus for now on accumulating all the necessary mandrels, tools and other "necessities" that make callmaking so fun and expensive!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
It will be okay to start with, according to the HF site it has a MT1 in the head and tailstock.  No idea on the threads on the spindle.  I doubt if it is a common thread, so a collet chuck might be a problem.  But calls were made for over a 100 years before the collet chuck was developed for wood lathes.  Power, it has a 1/3HP motor you won't be able to hog the wood, or it will bog down, again no major issue.  Accessories are available for the MT1, you just have to look for them.  My advice would be to get used to the lathe before buying accessories, and if possible find a mentor that will help you learn to use the lathe.  If you have a chance to use a Jet or Delta, you might find yourself doing a quick upgrade, they are as different as day and night.  If you buy the accessories now, some can not be used on the better lathes.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
Ken, you have sent me a couple of e-mails, which is what got you over here. But you didn't mention that you don't ever plan on making bowl, pens, table legs, etc. Hang on there buddy. This turning stuff is addiction in it's truest form, and you may just well want to do that in the future. Don't count anything out at this point. Marvin has a real good point, in that buying a lot of accessories for your HF now may not be a good idea, because you WILL want to get a better lathe if you like turning at all, and the accessories may not, probably won't be, compatable.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
Well I've got one of those HF lathes (midi) and although it works alright I'm betting it's days are numbered... Quality and thought were two of the main things they forgot to think of when designing the thing :hysterical: I think you can definitely make some great stuff because I still use that thing, but if you are only interested in calls, a jet or delta mini is much more practical. Plus like dogcatcher predicted, it'll bog down easy. Quality is a word I'm really wishing was in my HF tools, but for now I'll be settled enough :2: ~Andre

Offline RackSticker

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »
All, thanks for the advice. After reading your responses, I'm leaning towards boxing up & returning the HF lathe and ordering the Jet Mini. I don't want to throw more accessory money at the HF lathe, then buy the Jet anyway. I'll keep you posted and thanks again!  Kenny

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
Kenny, if I were looking for a small lathe today, I would get this one.

http://www.amazon.com/1014VSI-10-Inch---14-Inch-Variable-Indexing/dp/B000MIWG6Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1317758422&sr=1-1

It is a variable speed and with the free shipping, looks to be a heck of a deal. I currently have the Delta Midi Lathe, with the aftermarker VS setup on it and I would not go back to the belt moving to change speeds. It is just so nice to be able to instantly change speeds with the twist of a knob.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Dang now that's a package! I think when I get the $ from selling some calls I'll have to upgrde to that... My HF lathe ain't smooth like it used to be (it never was :hysterical:). ~Andre

Offline RackSticker

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
That is a great deal. Thanks for that link. Now I have to scrape up the cash to get it ;-) I'll let you guys know. 

Offline dedduck

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
I really like the lathe I got from grizzly.  That is a great deal on the Jet and it is worth the dough but if you are short on dough and wanna get a nice reliable lathe check this one out.

It works flawlessly and runs smooth an quite.  But let me tell ya, I the next one i want the variable speed to be able to be changed by the flick of a switch.  This one you have to move belts and its a pain at times, but hey for $259 shipped to your door it is hard to beat IMO. I also got the lathe within 4 days of ordering it too! Talk about fast shipping with New Penn trucking! Grizzly also backs their products and offers all parts listed right on their site for ordering if needed.  Not to mention the grizzly is 4 inches longer too

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-18-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/H8259

Or if you wanted to spend a tad bit more here is one i thought about getting too, has the speed change set up for ya

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-16-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0657

Here it is on the bench in my shop.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:03:32 PM by dedduck »

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »
I'll tell you guys, when I first started turning I didn't know one lathe from another. I bought a shop fox & now I also have the 10-14 jet. For the money I will buy another shop fox, very inexpensive & after two years I have never had any troubles with it. But my jet is down after less than one year. I have never heard the name Shop Fox used on this forum, but let me tell you guys, it is a great lathe.

Offline John at Finish'em Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »
I also have a shop fox and am pleased with it. I got mine off amazon for around 250 I think. I do remmber it had free shipping.

Offline RackSticker

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
Ok fella's - here's my update on the lathe sitchyashun

I took back the Central Machinery mini lathe to Harbor Freight without a hitch. I never opened it and got my full refund, $80.

Craigslist - I found an *almost-new* Jet Lathe - JML-1014VSI. It included a Bed Extension(JML-BE), Full Stand and Stand Etension(JML-S-BEJ), 4 Jaw Talon Chuck, Talon Chuck Adapter, Leather Apron, Face Shield, Crown Tools 3 Piece Chisel Set. The guy said he had spent $1000,  used it twice and put it away. It's super quiet, lines up perfectly and very clean....$500. I am moving a few things in my shop now to make room for it and will it set-up.

I read thru the tutorials on this forum and am now looking for a source to buy some duck call wood. Almost underway. Thanks for all the info and advice. I think I made the right decision.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
Good score for sure.  You're going to be off to a great start. 

Dbroswoods is a good source for a good assortment of wood.  Trust me, start with the cheap stuff and just fool around making squares round. 

Something you HAVE to immediately consider is how you're going to sharpen your tools.  Turning tools aren't something you sharpen every 5 or 6 calls.  You sharpen some tools just about every time you pull them out.  Turning with dull or improperly ground tools is a vortex of frustration that a lot of new turners fall into and never get out of.  A slow speed 8" grinder is a good way to go, along with a wolverine jig or similar setup.  I've seen some very good shop-made sharpening jigs. 

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
Wow, that's one heck of a buy. And you are going to love having that extension. It makes it so easy to move the tail stock away from where you are working. Great find! For the wood, go down to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a few long stick of 2x2 poplar and turn away. You must learn how to make the tools work for you before using good wood. Just a lot let expensive. If you have a Woodcraft store near by, check out when they are having the next beginning lathe turning class and TAKE IT! Best money you will ever spend.
Braz