Author Topic: Antler?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
Antler?
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »
Where the heck do you buy antler big enough for goose calls? Does anyone have a supplier that they like?
Chris Wright

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
Re: Antler?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »
Gosh, the only thing I'd think can work for that wood be elk... You'd be paying an incredible amount for a deer antler of that size, if you can even find one. It matters how big your call is and if you want it to be solid antler or just parts (banding, mouth, ect.)... I get mine off of ebay, takes a while to find good prices, but I got an elk antler for $19 the other day. ~Andre

Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
How much did you need and how big of pieces I have some white tail antler big enough to make deer calls that should make goose flute too I am thinking

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
  finding a piece big enough for a call comes with some challenges.  the marrow portion is a lot larger in elk antler than whitetail.  chances are, you will be using a lot of CA to fill in the spongy areas.

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
I am looking mainly for the mouth and exhaust pieces as accents to the wood being used. Would be nice to have some for a band also. I actually work in Estes Park Colorado and was able to find one spike bull shed. Got enough for two calls off of that, but was wondering if there was a source out there that sold pieces for turning projects. Sounds like I have to find sheds for sale or find my own. I would need the O.D. to be at least 1" but bigger would be better.
Chris Wright