Author Topic: Want to turn Pots need some advice  (Read 4347 times)

Offline wjskip

• New Forum Member
Want to turn Pots need some advice
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
I have been impressed by the turkey pots that everyone here makes, so I have descided to try something other than pens.  I did some reading, bought some books and now I know so much that I don't know where to start.  What is your favorite friction surface?  My first choice was slate until I started reading.  Different surfaces, when coupled with different strikers make different tones. (At least that is what the book says)  Do you prefer single piece strikers or do you find that a mixture of woods makes that much difference.  For example; a purpleheart dowel with a birch head sounds different than a purpleheart dowel with a walnut head.  Is the biggest difference caused by the wood or the size and shape of the head.  Or does it just boil down to the fact that I am being too much of an engineer and not enough hunter?
One more thing where is the best source for friction surfaces?
Thanks
 Bill

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Want to turn Pots need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »
Yes, you'll find all densities of all types of woods will make big differences in your pots and your strikers.  And your calling surfaces will matter, and your sound board material will also matter. 

Out of all the combos I've tried, slate over glass is my favorite, but you'll hear all different types of combos from different folks.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
I buy my friction surfaces from grassy creek game calls. They are decent priced and have some different options for surfaces I have not found anywhere else.
Kuipdog

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Grassy Creek (Darin) has some really great aluminum surface options. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline wjskip

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
Appreciate the input. Just looked at the Grassy Creek Web site.  Looks like a good source.  How about the striker.  I have seen some awsome one piece strikers posted here.  Do you use them because of looks or function.  I have read that the wood combinations allow for more tuning for pitch.  Is that a big deal or is it the user that makes the difference.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »
The strikers are an adventure in themselves.  I would try 1 piece first strikers first, 2 piece strikers are not that hard to make, but until you learn how the density of the wood work on the calling surface I wouldn't recommend trying them.  The tip, the density of the wood, and the weight all determine how it plays the call. 

The most important thing about turkey calls is the sound, but it is not an exact sound that has be duplicated on each and every call.  Each hunter has a perception of the perfect sound or an idea of what they think is the perfect sound.  It is up to the callmaker to come up with the what he thinks are the perfect sounds.  This is done with both the call and the striker.  With the call you have the type of wood, the calling surface, and the sound board, then you have the actual construction of the call, the final measurements are what makes a the sound what it sounds like.  Change the wood with the same measurements and you have a new sound.  Then you have the variables of the striker.  It all takes experimenting until you find the combinations that sound good to you.

I have made calls that I thought were awful, other people liked them and some hated them like I did.  On the opposite end I have made calls that I thought were perfect and then had people tell me they were awful sounding.  Sometimes all it takes is a different striker to get that sound sometimes it takes the right person to pick it up and say "Wow this is good".

I hope this didn't confuse the issue too much, but with most calls the perfect sound is not determined by some 'god" but by the hunters and the callmakers and they will almost always vary on what is best.  That is why with callmaking you can march to the sound of your own call, if you like go for it.  If no one else likes it and you have a lot of calls to use, then you might want to rethink the sound that you thought was perfect.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline wjskip

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
Thank you Marvin for the input.  I was hopping to stir up some sort of discussion on what works best.
Bill

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »
I would suggest you make your first with a slate surface. Requires very little conditioning to work, unlike glass or metals. I make a one piece striker mainly for ease on my nerves. Just easier for me to turn out a striker from one piece than it is for me to perfectly match up and center both pieces for a two piece.
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline Gobbleking57

• New Forum Member
  • Gobbleking Custom Calls & Strikers
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
Another option to a two piece striker is to laminate two different woods and turn it as a one piece. One wood on top and the other on your peg ;)
When you see red, pump the lead !!!!!!