Author Topic: Long Reed Insert?  (Read 30388 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Long Reed Insert?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
Joe you're quickly becoming a real asset to the THO family and proving that you're a helpful guy as well as a knowledgeable call maker.   :bigup:  The craftsmanship is evident for sure.  Hope the surgery was nothing serious and all is ok on your end. 

Offline tkopperl

• New Forum Member
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
Wow that is awesome! Never seen long reed goose call in person...  Thanks for the great pictures too!  Now I know you have already answered so many questions, but how in the world did you do those glue ups?  They are awesome!!!  I cant figure out how you were able to match them up so perfectly...
Brazos River Game Calls

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
Wow that is awesome! Never seen long reed goose call in person...  Thanks for the great pictures too!  Now I know you have already answered so many questions, but how in the world did you do those glue ups?  They are awesome!!!  I cant figure out how you were able to match them up so perfectly...
Humm . . . I'm a laminating fool and keep trying new patterns all the time.  This is a simple one but it takes a lots of Titebond III glue.  You resaw 3/16" strips of light and dark colored woods, then laying flat you keep alternating the dark and light colors and glue them up.  The flat pieces must be wide enough to allow for several more saw kerf cuts the other direction, cutting more 3/16" wide strips.
Then you lay them flat again, but this time when you glue them you alternate each piece so a dark strip of wood is touching a lighter piece of wood.  Its a simple turn and stack glue up.  In the end you have a checkerboard effect, especially looking at the ends of the block.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »
Hey thanks.  I have no secrets in making custom calls.  We can only improve our craft, and in my case I'm still striving for better workmanship including the finish on my calls.  I had a follow-up this afternoon from surgery this Tuesday, everything looks ok.  I just need to go back in a month for a final check-up.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
Very nice work Joe. Im impressed!! Not only with the glue up but also with your response in helping with the long reed set up.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 11:19:06 PM »
Very cool!  Thanks for the detailed thoughts!  I really appreciate them! 

What is it about the long reed caller that's gotten the main stream goose hunter away from it?   :huh:  More tone variances achieved in a short reed I suppose?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks for the detailed thoughts!  I really appreciate them! 

What is it about the long reed caller that's gotten the main stream goose hunter away from it?   :huh:  More tone variances achieved in a short reed I suppose?

Parker
You hit the nail on the head.  The short-reed can produce more variable sounds.  The conventional long-reed however has its place that's why I make a few in two different models each year.  Some folks cannot blow a short-reed so the long-reed is easier to use.  Both the goose flute and the long-reed have there own little corner of the call making world.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »
Bump for some great information.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

BLKDOGS

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the bump on this and Joe thank you great info.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 06:24:05 AM »
http://www.grassycreekcalls.com/Goose-Call-Makers-s/1819.htm

Grassy Creek has a similar set up as Mr. Kolter.  I'm sure Mr. Kolter's are hand made which is more appealing to me.  I have tried the guts from Grassy Creek and they are decent for a beginner and they make basic goose sounds.
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
Great presentation of information for those just starting out.  I don't know why so many haven't seen a long reed goose call before.  I hadn't seen the short reed until just recently when I was just starting to look into making a goose call. All I have ever used is a Ken Martin Goose Call and all of his are long reed.  Actually pretty simple looking other than it has a 3 step system in the exhaust end of the call.  5/8" in barrel and goes from 1/2" down to 7/32 where the reed is held in what would be the cork notch. This is what I am going to try and do with one Im starting to work on.  Just need to get the proper forstner bits so I have a flat platform where it steps up to the larger bore.  Thanks again for showing your long reed, much easer to use the long reed for me for sure.