The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Goose Calls

Long Reed Insert?

(1/6) > >>

lazyMlazyK:
It seems to me all the calls I've seen on here have a set of short reed guts in them.  Does anybody make any long reed goose calls here?  I'm thinking about giving it a try soon (my brother-in-law wants me to make him a cocobolo long reed call).  Also, I cannot get any low end out of my echo guts.  Is there any to be had?  No matter how I tune it, I cannot find any low end in them.  Tips?

Jon @ JRwoods:
Not sure on echos, have you tried another reed?  Shape of reed has a little to do with it.  Make sure the natural bend is up. 
Can't help with the long reed but I'm interested also.

Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks:
Can't speak to a "long reed" goose call, as I haven't heard of that.  I'm no goose call expert at all but I only know of flutes and short reeds. 

Not being able to get a good low end on your Echo guts could be due to the configuration of the barrel or insert.  Have you tried various bore diameters and step drilling the internal dimensions differently from barrel to barrel?  Exhaust lengths and diameters?  Echo guts will run, but you're probably going to have to focus on the call itself once you have your guts set right. 

VECtor Calls:
I don't have any problem getting all kinds of tones out of ECHO guts.  I don't know how much experience you have with short reed goose calls, but they don't run with just air.  There is a lot of hand work that goes into a goose call reaching all different types of notes and tones.

Parker

crowkiller:
Most of my goose calls are long reed. What do you want to know?
  But they are all 4 piece inserts. Most guys shy away from 4 piece inserts for some reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version