Author Topic: Size trends in duck calls  (Read 7579 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Size trends in duck calls
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
I went to the big waterfowl weekend event at Rogers Sporting Goods this weekend and had the opportunity to check out calls from about a dozen different callmakers in addition to those that they keep in stock.  There were a number of booths of callmakers showing their goods.  Some I'd heard of, some I hadn't. 

Something struck me after visiting most of those booths.  I'm amazed at how duck calls seem to be getting smaller and smaller and smaller.  Or at least that's my impression.  Now that isn't a critique or a complaint, just an oberservation.  Most of the antique duck calls you see seem to be about the size of a modern short reed goose call, and a lot of the new calls I handled today were downright kid-sized.  One local maker's calls' barrels were just long enough to keep the toneboard from sticking out the end...Great calls, but it struck me.  I spoke with Buck Gardner for quite a while and he offers some really small duck calls.  RNT has their micro series, and so on.  I think I make an average-size duck call, both on the length and diameter scales, but they seem honkin' big compared to 75% of the duck calls I handled today.  Initially I thought perhaps hand size could drive a guy's preference, but I had no problem using the little calls despite having big hands.

Other than the weight of several larger calls on your lanyard, does anyone see an advantage or disadvantage to this trend?  Or am I crazy for saying it is a trend, or perhaps a new direction the market is taking?  Just thought I'd get discussion started to see you guys' thoughts.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Re: Size trends in duck calls
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
My experience is the shorter calls take a little more finesse.  The really short calls seem a little raspier and can have plastic-ish ring.  Not sure how to desribe it.  I've always used a short, wide exhaust as a loud open water call
I noticed a few years ago that a few people started marketing cackler and lesser short reeds.  Then everybody had one.  If they don't put out a direct competitor to the latest thing, maybe they get left behind.
If RNT releases a micro-something maybe other call companies feel they have offer their version.  Let's face it, waterfowlers are always looking for the newest, latest, greatest.
There is less material used.  If you're making 4" vs 5" calls you save big $$ on a long production run.  Could be?
Could be a way to make you think your lanyards to empty and you need a few to top it off. :2:
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

I agree that the shorter calls take a lot more skill and finesse to run.  You have to make sure that your air presentation into these little calls is correct right out of your mouth, since the toneboard is almost to the end of the barrel.  I wouldn't say the shorter calls are a trend though right now.  The shorter calls have been around for several years now.  JJ Lares calls have been that small for a long time.  I don't know if there is much of a trend with those size calls in the custom/hobby arena though.  I haven't seen a whole lot of callmakers making them in this size. 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
I have noticed there are some call makers on this board that seem to perfer the smaller sized calls. But then there are others that like them a bit bigger. I think Im kinda in the middle.

August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Longntooth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
I prefer the smaller calls. Really dont have a reason, maybe just like the looks of them. The calls I turn are +-4-5/8" long and I guess thats somewhere in the middle.  Looking thru the calls that I have accumulated over the years, I would have to say that in a general statement: Older are bigger and newer are smaller.  Got a F.A. Allen brass reed-6-5/16", Charles Perdew-6",
Chick Majors-5-1/4", Rich-N-Tone Acrylic-4-3/4", Echo Timber-4-1/4", Paul Kinyon-5-1/2", David Starks 5-1/2".  K.C. I have also seen this trend, if thats what it is, over the last few years, and I think they ARE smaller in general, but I dont know what the advantage would be unless as you say a savings in materials. My son is a mfrs rep and he handles RNT in several states, and the amount of calls that he moves is considerable, so Im sure there may be something to" smaller costs less."  BTW who won the duck meat contest on Saturday nite?
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
My experience is you have to be able to make a call small, medium and large, it the hunter that chooses the size he or she wants to use, based on their calling style and the size of their hands.  A pain, yes, but not that much trouble.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »

Aaron, so when you are making your size references, are you comparing the old school calls from 20 years ago, to say todays calls?  Or are you comparing an average sized call today, to the next size smaller calls?

I grabbed the 3 smallest calls and compared them to one of my average sized calls.

Anatra, JJ Lares, mine, and RNT Macrohen

Like Marvin said, I think it is all based on customer preference, and having a wide range of offerings to appease the audience.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
Aaron, so when you are making your size references, are you comparing the old school calls from 20 years ago, to say todays calls?  Or are you comparing an average sized call today, to the next size smaller calls?

I guess I'm comparing what duck calls used to be several decades ago to what they are now to some degree, but the picture you posted is an even better example of what I'm talking about.  And I'm betting a couple I held today would be a good 15% smaller than the three smaller calls in that pic. 

I agree that it is probably a preference thing, as you still see some fairly decent sized commercially made calls.  Maybe it is just like the auto market.  Some of us like trucks, some like cars and some like those little smart cars.   :yes:

Offline MarshRat

• New Forum Member
  • Marsh Master Custom Calls
    • Marsh Master Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:52:39 AM »
Never really thought about it all that much but you really do have a valid point there and I just got up and put a digital caliper to one of my calls and totals are in.  One of my smallest calls is 3.5" long my longest one is right at 4.3" long.  I think the main reason I make my calls a little smaller is because I started off making them like that due to the fact that I don't have a catchers mit for a hand and can really hang onto a smaller call better. It does take a little more "skill" I guess to operate it but once you have your air flow down they can sing like the fat lady herself. I just got out the very first duck call I ever used and stuck a caliper to it as well. It's a G&H call. I didn't know they made calls, thought they stuck to decoys but anyway it measures in at 5.2" long.  My dad bought this call when he was about 19 so its been around for some time now. Less material used = more money made....Like you said Aaron everyone seems to be trying to save an extra buck these days and going green and all that jazz. What's next putting a solar panel on a duck call?  :hysterical:

Matt
Marsh Master Custom Calls
www.marshmaster.webs.com