Author Topic: Finish on natural edged cup?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Finish on natural edged cup?
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
I've got a boxelder maple cup sitting on my lathe right now that I left a bark ring around for added looks.  This cup is for my Mom, whose birthday is next Wednesday.  How would you suggest I finish this cup while keeping the color and texture of the bark?  I also would like a finish that will help hold the bark on the cup for many years.  The cup will NOT be used for drinking from, but rather to store pens, paperclips, loose change, etc.  Thank you for your input!

Kyle
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:20:33 PM by lazyMlazyK »
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Re: Finish on natural edged cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
No suggestions?  What do the bowl turners use to solidify the bark rim on natural rimmed bowls?

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
If you turned this cup from green wood, then you will have to wait to finish it.  Use thin CA to glue the natural edge, and after the wood has "cured" (put it in a paper bag and weigh every day 'til it quits losing weight) you can generally use and oil finish appropriate to the use of the cup.  Food grade is suggested if the cup will actually be used.    :2:

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »
Thanks first flight.  I got the cup finished (to be honest, I took the quick way out, hopefully it holds fine) and sprayed spar urethane on it.  I finished the wooden "box" just in BLO.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »
On natural edges I usually use one of the oil finishes.  Mainly because my wife prefers the oil finishes, she says that a single oil coat looks better.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.