Author Topic: New Calls and Price help  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Adam @ Bird Creek Calls

• New Forum Member
New Calls and Price help
« on: June 30, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
Hey guy here's a few new call i just finished. wondering what you think also decided not to use gutsert and just go with wood tendon. And all Have a hand rubbed finish . All calls are going to have wades guts in them. Also I have made a few for friends but never sold any and was wondering what you guys think they go for. I've had people tell me $50 and other say $150.
BlackWood with Pink Ivory

Bois D'Arc with Blackwood Band

Another Blackwood/Pink Ivory

LepordWood

Cocobola

African Blackwood

Thanks Adam

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: New Calls and Price help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Good advice from Madarchery.  Prices run the full range from cheap to expensive but it is based on the callmaker, the quality, and the marketplace/economy you're selling in.  If you're just starting out the best thing you can do is give several of them away to folks that really know how to run a call and ask for their advice.  What would they pay?  What do they like/dislike? 

Most of the guys selling goose calls out of custom shops aren't getting $150 for them unless they're very ornate.  Personally I think a lot of folks would have concerns about an all wood un-reinforced tenon...As they're not hard to crack. 

Offline Adam @ Bird Creek Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
Guys thanks for the replys, I've just had several people tell me diffrent prices for
the same call and was wondering if the was average price. On the wood tendon though it's the only way I've figured out how to make them work. I've tried gutsert and
don't really like them. I've only had one tendon crack and since I've been making them 3/8" thick and
haven't had a problem. But what is te best way to reinforce them.
Thanks again Adam

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
Cut a small groove close to the end of the tenon. Put a small drop of CA (I use medium) wrap thread around til the groove is about 1/2 way full put a couple drops of ca on to soak the threads and finish wrapping the thread til the groove is full. Soak threads again. Let the CA cure then sand it smooth. 
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
The thread works pretty well.  I did the same thing but used epoxy for the final finish.  Be sure to seal the inside of your bore also.  I think calls pick up most moisture from blowing hot breath through them.  That plus a freezing thawing cycle while hunting will stress any wood that isn't sealed from the moisture.
Pricing,  I would say sit down with a piece of wood and make a call start to finish.  How cheap are you willing to work?  At the least you should make the cost of materials back + a little. 
I would rather give my call away than have someone tell me its worth $12.50. ::)   
Before you sell a call and never see it again, make a blueprint, take a picture, something so you remember it and could make it again.  Then write down what you sold it for. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Bill

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
I don't figure my time in when I make and sell calls I sell calls at a reasonable price to recover the price of wood reeds shipping and the ones I give away  I enjoy working in the shop and it is relaxing to me the call you make is only worth what some one will pay for it