Author Topic: olive whistle  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
olive whistle
« on: June 26, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
Scored a small piece of 2x2 olive today at Woodcraft.  I normally avoid buying wood there but I couldn't help myself, as it was on sale.  Quartered it on the bandsaw and got four whistle blanks and enough left over for a wine bottle stopper.  For $10, not too bad.  I've never turned olive so I resisted the voice of reason that told me to let it sit for a couple months and knocked out a duck whistle.  What a fun wood to turn.  I had one curl well over 4' long.  Not to mention the stuff smells kind of neat.  This whistle has a walnut toneboard and a CA finish.  They're an absolute nightmare to CA finish....No matter how many coats I put on, I still manage to sand through the finish at the edge of the two holes because my finger bumps up and down over the holes as the call rotates.  I fix the spots that get sanded through with a couple wipes of CA and a little wet sanding by hand and you can't find it, so it all works out in the end.

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
Re: olive whistle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
WOW! That is sleek! :bow: :bow: :bow: Is there any information/tutorials about whistles similar to that one on THO? I was just telling my dad that I think I would like to try to make one soon (like everything else :whistling: )... Stunning and clean though! :punk:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:37 AM »
WOW! That is sleek! :bow: :bow: :bow: Is there any information/tutorials about whistles similar to that one on THO? I was just telling my dad that I think I would like to try to make one soon (like everything else :whistling: )... Stunning and clean though! :punk:

I don't think there's a tutorial here.  I remember seeing a thread either here or on CCO one time that kind of explained it but don't recall who posted it or where it is.  They're easy....It is just a wooden dowel for a toneboard with an inclined ramp shaped on it (I use a disc sander) that directs the air across the first hole's edge.  I'll try to remember to post a pic of a toneboard, and you'll get the rest figured out with experimentation.

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »

I don't think there's a tutorial here.  I remember seeing a thread either here or on CCO one time that kind of explained it but don't recall who posted it or where it is.  They're easy....It is just a wooden dowel for a toneboard with an inclined ramp shaped on it (I use a disc sander) that directs the air across the first hole's edge.  I'll try to remember to post a pic of a toneboard, and you'll get the rest figured out with experimentation.
Thanks I really want to try it! I really appreciate all the help! I think a picture or two would give me the "idea" of how it's done and then trial and a lot of error from there.. hehe

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »
WOW WOW WOW
KC, that looks wonderful!! I know what a pain these are to CA, you did a great job getting it finished up.

Decoydude, here is a bit I copy and pasted from an older post from a few years ago. I will also include the link to the thread if you want to read the whole thing but here are the basics.  I hope you dont mind me hijacking the thread a little KC. 

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,1499.msg14230.html#msg14230

I turn the barrel to .75-.80 inches and turn the lip at the mouthpiece end, and then the lanyard groove.  The overall length is 4".  The bore is .5" and the two holes are approx.  13/8 and 2.5" from the mouthpiece end.  The bore should extend only 1/16" past the second hole.  The holes are 1/4" or just smaller.

The wooden plug for the whistle is given a flat spot on the top for
the airway and glued in.  The plug just shows itself at the edge of the first hole.

When you blow it, you cover the further hole from the mouthpiece to get your pintail sounds (rolling your tongue), and the teal, widgeon and drake mallard sounds are all made with both holes open.

The older Iverson whistles had one hole and really only made pintail pitch sounds, but the two holer is much better.

Hope this helps.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
Aaron, that is one sweet looking call, maybe you could show us how to make one at the next turn-a-thon? :yes:

Offline crookedneck

• New Forum Member
    • Cross Knives
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
That is one sweet looking whistle!   :1eye:  Great finish on it too.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
That is purdy  :bigup:

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
wow great looking whistle.

Offline FNA Custom Calls By David Mitchell.

• New Forum Member
  • Fowl n Attitude Custom Calls
    • FowlnAttitude Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
Nice piece of wood and a beautiful call!!!!

David

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Beautiful Whistle!! The olive wood with your molten glass finish go hand in hand!!  :bigup:
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
 :punk:  Sweet for sure!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »
.....maybe you could show us how to make one at the next turn-a-thon?

I'd be glad to.  Plan on it.   :yes:

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
That is awesome :yes:

Jason

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
With olive 35% off at Woodcraft right now, I loaded up the kids yesterday and went back and bought them out.  I got several chunks of the stuff.  Had the twins in the stroller and both of them each held couple chunks, and each had a piece in their cup holders.  I was carrying some as well....So I'm pretty well stocked on olive for the time being!