Author Topic: ? for all the Tru Oil finish users  (Read 2522 times)

Offline TarheelTurkey

• New Forum Member
  • Tobacco Row Custom Calls
? for all the Tru Oil finish users
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
Im using Tru Oil on an actual call for the first time. I was wondering how long between coats do you guys wait before applying the next and  so on when using this finish.......Love the end results on the practice piece i used but in doing so i jus applied a coat (til i got the finish i wanted ) whenever i thought about it while working on some calls thru a weeks time.
Jason

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: ? for all the Tru Oil finish users
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
Jason, first of all remember that tru oil won't work well on exotics that don't like polyurethane and similar finishes (cocobolo, bocote, lignum vitae, padauk, etc).  On most woods the first coat of tru oil penetrates the wood.  So I give it a good day to dry indoors in low humidity.  On subsequent coats in low humidity indoors I can usually re-coat in about 3 hours. 

It is important to use 0000 steel wool on the surface between coats.  Just to prevent oil on my fingers from contaminating the surface I always wear nitirle gloves. 

Several coats will yield a really nice finish. 

Another tip for open-grained woods that will look better/smoother with a grain fill.  You can apply a ton of tru oil to the workpiece on the lathe with a cloth and then wet sand it with 600 grit wet/dry paper.  Do it at very low speed and keep the paper wet with fresh tru oil.  You'll see a slurry develop, and it'll harden right along with the tru oil, and it fills the grain.  Always be sure to wet sand with the grain after sanding on the lathe.  It will start to get tacky pretty quick too, so keep a lot of oil on the surface and wipe it off after sanding with the grain.  Only do this one.  The second coat should be applied conventionally with a clean cloth by hand.

Paper towels and tru oil don't get along.  I use old t-shirt pieces, socks, etc.

Offline TarheelTurkey

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
THANKS KC! The finish is going on an ironwood burl, a cedar, ambrosia maple & walnut. I'll post them once they're done they're going to our local NWTF banquet this weekend. Thanks again for your help.
 JASON

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Might want to check a scrap of that burl if it is Arizona desert ironwood....I've found that tru oil doesn't like to dry on that stuff.  On ambrosia maple and walnut I've had awesome results.

Offline TarheelTurkey

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
Might want to check a scrap of that burl if it is Arizona desert ironwood....I've found that tru oil doesn't like to dry on that stuff.  On ambrosia maple and walnut I've had awesome results.

Thanks for the heads up KC & the tips. The burl wasnt the arizona iron wood variety though. YES the walnut def pops when you apply the oil for sure.
Thanks Jason