Author Topic: knot an easy one to make  (Read 8218 times)

Offline M. Yingling

• New Forum Member
Re: knot an easy one to make
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
Nice lookin pot  :bigup:

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »
Thanks so much for steering me in the right direction! I'm on the Brookside Game Call website and see crystal and glass... which should I go with? Also should I get the sand blasted surface or not (the blasted surface looks real nice)? They also sell wood sound boards which I though might also be worth getting... unless glass is normally better... Tell me what you think I need, so that I can get started ASAP! :punk: :thanks:

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
I'd get glass over crystal.  Crystal has its place, but for an all around turkey call glass or slate are my picks.  The blasted glass looks cool, so get it if you like it.  But plan on conditioning your glass with a carborundum stone in the area you'll play it, because conditioning creates thousands if parallel lines that are critical to getting good sounds as the striker goes across them.  Brookside sells a carborundum stone for a couple bucks. 

Wood soundboards work fine.  Personally I'd recommend starting with glass or slate soundboards on glass calls, and glass soundboards on slate calls.

Don't forget to get yourself a tube of plumbers Goop to glue your soundboards and surfaces in.   

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
I'd get glass over crystal.  Crystal has its place, but for an all around turkey call glass or slate are my picks.  The blasted glass looks cool, so get it if you like it.  But plan on conditioning your glass with a carborundum stone in the area you'll play it, because conditioning creates thousands if parallel lines that are critical to getting good sounds as the striker goes across them.  Brookside sells a carborundum stone for a couple bucks. 

Wood soundboards work fine.  Personally I'd recommend starting with glass or slate soundboards on glass calls, and glass soundboards on slate calls.

Don't forget to get yourself a tube of plumbers Goop to glue your soundboards and surfaces in.   
Thanks, I will order some very soon. I need to stop getting distracted by the fancy stuff, and just go with the suggested materials  :gitrdone: I think I'm gonna try the sand blasted... don't know how great it'll look after it's conditioned though...

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
Honestly the conditioning doesn't detract from the beadblasted glass all that much.  It doesn't stand out like it does on plain glass.

Offline TarheelTurkey

• New Forum Member
  • Tobacco Row Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
 :bigup: AWESOME JOB !

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
Nice work big guy..... :yes:
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
Great looking call Aaron!!!!    Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  :yes: