Author Topic: knot an easy one to make  (Read 8161 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
knot an easy one to make
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »
Hehehe, get it?  Knot.   :smartass:

I found some "rustic" 4/4 hickory that was full of knots, worm holes and funky grain for sale for just over a buck a board foot.  So I bought a 1x12-10'.  It had one really open and ugly knot in it that was surrounded by worm holes, and I thought I'd see if I had enough CA glue to keep it together and turn it into a turkey call.  This is by far the most difficult call I've made.  Up until the last minute turning it, I fully expected it to blow up, but it never did.  I'd cut a little, glue a little, then cut a little more, and so on.  I abandoned my usual center 1/2" hole because nature provided this one.  Hard to tell from the pic, the knot has three legs that are wide open so you can easily see all the way through.  The finish is tru oil.

I'm regretting it because I hate the look now that it is glued together, but I used a glass soundboard and a glass surface.  In hindsight I should've gone with glass over aluminum or glass over slate.  Oh well, it isn't one I'm selling anyway.  Might have the engraver scratch my name in the glass next time I'm there.  It does sound good though!

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
Re: knot an easy one to make
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
I can understand how you might not like the view from the top, but the view from the bottom is spectacular.

Great character in that wood and I can believe it took a lot of patience to get it done  :2up:
Formerly known as Goosedown1

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
Thanks Dan.  My wife says it is the ugliest call I've made.  Her general question about it was "why?"  :huh:

I say why not?!?!

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:03 AM »
Well, this side is wonderful. I'd like to see a picture of the other side. I love calls like this where the wood adds so much character to the call.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Straight-N-Arrow

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »
That's the same wood we have for kitchen cabinets. Wonder what my wife would think if I started removing the doors and making calls. Bet she would knot be happy! Nice job! I agree with the character statement.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »
Knot a bad looking call at all.  :stuart:

Im sure it took alot of time and patience to get that one finished up. You did a great job on it.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
I really like the uniqueness of that call K.C, where do you get your tru-oil? I have looked everywhere, I remember wal-mart use to have it but  i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
That looks really good KC!!  I can only imagine the pucker factor while turning that one.

Crawdad--You can order Tru-Oil from gun supply stores like Midway USA or Brownell's if you can't find it locally.  I buy the big bottle from them and poke a little hole in the seal for pouring and always store it upside down to keep it from skinning up on me. 

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll echo what MoHops said.  The big bottle from Brownells or Midway USA is the better deal.  Locally a pint of it is about $14 at Woodcraft.  I don't store mine in the bottle it comes in.  I put it in a clear plastic squeeze bottle.  I can dispense it a drop at a time that way if I want to.  Then I put the cap on it and store it upside down for the same reason MoHops cited.  Exposed to air, it will start to polymerize.  Stored upside down it might skin over, but the skin will be on the bottom.  My experience has been that a pint of it will last me a looooong time. 

Offline fargord

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
Perhaps this was a challenge, but I see you were man enough to take it on with much success!

Offline widgeon161

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
Awsome! what would the world be like without wood imperfections? I like the look of not perfect wood, Great job!

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
Thats called character, and character is good. Awesome call.

Jason

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
That is a sweet piece of wood!  Nice job Aaron

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
That is a sweet call! :punk: Very unique and really has some style! I have one question on slate, (glass, copper, ect) where do you get yours and which surface would be good for my first call (I'm planning to make one real soon)? Also, should I do a resonating surface as well, or keep it simple? (I don't really get how you pick that material or the large difference it makes...)

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
That is a sweet call! :punk: Very unique and really has some style! I have one question on slate, (glass, copper, ect) where do you get yours and which surface would be good for my first call (I'm planning to make one real soon)? Also, should I do a resonating surface as well, or keep it simple? (I don't really get how you pick that material or the large difference it makes...)

Andre there are three main places you can get surfaces for turkey calls.  Online your options are Brookside Game Calls and Grassy Creek Game Calls.  Most of us use Chad "Stumpy" Hutcheson for surfaces when we can because he has great quality products at about half the price of the other guys.  Only downside is that he doesn't have a website and he only takes checks.  But he turns orders around pretty quickly.  His e-mail address is stumpyglassman@yahoo.com. 

For a first call I'd recommend slate or glass for the surface.  Most folks start with slate.  You'll want 3-1/2" slate for that. 

By "resonating surface" you're probably talking about what most of us refer to as a soundboard.  That's the 3" piece of slate, glass, metal or wood that goes inside the call under the calling surface.  I strongly believe that a soundboard is necessary for a basic pot call to sound right.  I'll put a call with a soundboard up against one without a soundboard any day.  My advice would be to start with glass.  I use glass soundboards on the vast majority of my calls.  It is inexpensive and it is hard to go wrong with glass.  When you decide to undertake this, hit us up for any and all info you need.