Author Topic: Echo Duck Calls  (Read 4043 times)

woodnquality

Echo Duck Calls
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
What is the best echo duck call to invest in?

I dont know what the best is that most people will want.

My options are the typical SR and DR, OW or Timber. Also, is there any specific woods that are best or any that should be avoided?

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: Echo Duck Calls
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
Are you investing in the call for yourself?  Are you talking about the Echo inserts to use in your call barrels?  Any wood you put an Echo insert is going to be fine with exception of soft woods... they can split.  From your post, it sounds like you are going to get some inserts and use in your barrels?  That's fine if you do but just be careful how you market them if that is your intention.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline MarshRat

• New Forum Member
  • Marsh Master Custom Calls
    • Marsh Master Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
If your meaning Echo inserts to put in your barrels then I would probably go with the double reed timber.  I use them in some of my call but like MUTT said you have to be careful how you market them. In my opinion, you really can't market a call as a full custom call if all you have done is turned a barrel. With that said, the majority of the calls people want from me is the ones with Echo inserts.  I don't know why because I make my own toneboards too, but oh well.  I market them as a Hybrid call wood/acrylic.  I have heard of guys buying the inserts cutting the toneboard off and making a wooden stopper and putting in the Echo toneboard in it. This is just my  :2: and I hope it helps you out.

Matt
Marsh Master Custom Calls
www.marshmaster.webs.com

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
I market them as a Hybrid call wood/acrylic.

If you're buying their inserts that cost just a few dollars, they're not acrylic.  They're molded polycarbonate.  They sound good, but they're definitely not acrylic...Hence their price. 

Woodnquality, if you're wanting to buy an Echo call made by Echo you can't go wrong in my opinion.  They're production calls and are far from custom, but there's no arguing that they make a darn good sounding call.  My first duck call was an Echo cocobolo single reed timber and it is just an awesome call.  I now have a taste for custom calls but as far as production calls I think they're unbeatable.

If you're looking for which Echo polycarb inserts to buy for your barrels, I'd say get at least a couple of each and try them out.  They are hardly an "investment" at a few bucks each.   Nothing wrong with giving a customer some options.  I like their double reed timber most but haven't blown an Echo I didn't like. 

woodnquality

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
We had a shop handed over to us with the house we bought and the guy was using the echo inserts. They are great for only $5 a piece and they make a call a great seller. I spend about $10 making a call and packaging it and then go sell it for $40. I just have never really experimented with what is the best/most popular echo call. It sounds to me like the DR Timber is most popular. Our shop was down for a while due to putting pool in and stuff being stored and constant traffic through it so I ended up selling all the calls I made. A while back I ordered some new inserts, but it was my first order ever, cause like I said, the shop was handed to us. I didn't have a clue of what to get. So I did get one of each. Also I got one of each color too. I figured that over time I would learn what to buy more of and what to buy less of. I think everyone on here is going to make it a lot easier to decide!

On that note...any suggestions, feel free to reply

woodnquality

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »
 :thanks:

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
I like DR timber, then SR open, and you can keep the other two.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

woodnquality

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
so it sounds to me like your saying ditch the SR Timber and the DR OW?

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
The first is easy to blow, and second is hard to blow.

I'm getting calls to duck hunters, not competition callers.   :wav1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls