Author Topic: Walnut for pot calls??  (Read 2957 times)

woodwzrd

Walnut for pot calls??
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »
I have seen a lot of beautiful walnut pots including madarchery's latest which raises a question in my mind. When I first started making calls I had another call maker tell me to stay away from walnut because it is not very stable. Because of that I have shied away from it but I am finding it harder to resist. Obviously there are guys out there using it. I was just curious to see how you guys felt about it.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Walnut for pot calls??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »
You can take any kind of wood out there, and I bet you can find a turner that doesn't like working it. 

Sure are a lot of walnut gun stocks out there for the wood to move much.  Know what I mean? 

I'm thinking you got fibbed to a little by someone that turned a peice of walnut that was a little wet.

With that said, it is always good practice to let a pot call relax after turning it, and again after finishing it prior to surfacing it.  There's all kinds of new pushes and pulls on a pot compared to what it was in the blank, or even board form.  I do this, because I want my pots to last for a long, long time.  Do you HAVE to do it?  No.  Am I doing it to help save ONE call out of how ever many I ever make?  Yep.  One is enough for me.  I am in no rush. 

Parker

Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
I think maybe you heard that on the duck call forum. Maybe  :huh:  I can see the issues when using it as a duck call toneboard. But Ive still used it with good results. Ive never had an issue with walnut when using it for turkey call. Go spin one up and see for yourself. I dont think you will be dissapointed.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
There are allot of "Wives Tales" running around out there and that is one for sure. Walnut makes wonderful calls across the board. Not my favorite for Turkey trumpets but I have used it in the past with good results. The open grain will swell and close the opening in a turkey trumpet that's why I don't like it for that.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

woodwzrd

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »

Sure are a lot of walnut gun stocks out there for the wood to move much.  Know what I mean? 

Never gave that a thought.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have actually turned away from a fair amount of free walnut over the last year and now I am kicking myself. NO MORE. Great, that just meens another wood to stock pile and clutter up the shop.  :rofl:

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
Walnut if well seasoned is a very stable wood.   It is my go to wood for many different types of games calls.  I've used it in pots and strikers with success, and it makes a fine toneboard for duck and goose calls.  It has great tonal qualities.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline stone road turkey calls

• New Forum Member
  • 3rd place 2013 norseman 6th place 2013 grand natl
    • stone road turkey calls
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »
walnut is one of my favorite woods to make pot calls and strikers from, i have had no problems with it. wood must be dry and stable.
gary

Offline TarheelTurkey

• New Forum Member
  • Tobacco Row Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
Myself and a coworker build calls together We've had 1 incident that w jus coudnt understand what happened. He turned it and brought it to the station the next shift to glue the surface in and overnigh it had warped. Why??? idk since we've turned several from the same board w/o ANY problems. Hadnt been turning calls long but i believe every so often "stuff happens" no matter which wood you using. I am like others have said on here in NO rush building my/our calls and prefer to let them sit for a lil while before moving to next stage. I dont believe its any form too unstable to use and beleive its abosolutely beatiful wood. Personally i beleive what happened in our case was he turned it TOOOOO fast and it got hotter than normal(but hav no scientific proof LOL) I would get you some blanks and try it for yourself the guys on here are great & will be more than helpful if you happen to run into any problems. Jason