Author Topic: Latest flatheads June 2011  (Read 2547 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Latest flatheads June 2011
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
Here's some pics!  I will narrate later tonight.  Just want to get them up while I had a good internet connection!   :gitrdone:

Parker

Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Latest flatheads June 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
Wow those are nice fish. I'd love to get just one like that some day. I may have to come vist some fishing season. What is that one your wife is holding?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline 3inchstrutbuster

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
 wow those look super ! when is the fish fry :bigup:

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »
My wife said " NO WAY in H3!! Will you get me to do that!"

Good looking family outing!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
 :bow: :bow: Parker I am amazed!!! Nice catch and it looks like the whole crew Loves it too!  :bigup:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
And the stories......

Day 1 This bent hook is KILLING me!  Should have had bigger hooks, huh?!

We caught a 3, 25, 32 and 44. Got some GREAT pictures, First time Long Branch, The Inspector and I have all been in the boat on the same morning.

We've still got some great baits kicking, so we're going to let them soak, and go catch some more bait now to get out tomorrow.

Did I mention we had one bend a hook out?!

Day 2 brought some pretty good luck too. Not great in the flat department, but it will do!

49 pound flat on one side of the weight, and a 38 pound buffalo on the other! Guess that buff was hungry! I bet they didn't get along very well!

And the channies were TEARING us up. We caught 18 of them. Kept all that were over 5 pounds.....which was 11 of them. The biggest was 12 pounds. Four of them were big enough that I couldn't grab them with my mongo hands.

We went to our 'bad' lines first today to move them if they didn't produce. NO wiggling bait left, the first 15 hooks we checked had 13 channel cats on them! Those lines got moved as quickly as we could run them! Only thing worse than having big baits eaten by channies would be eaten by gar!

We got those two lines moved to where we've been catching flatheads, so we are hoping for a good morning on our last day tomorrow.

Same line as yesterday......another bent out hook with a fish lost.  The slip knot that holds the dropper in place was TIGHT! DANG IT I hope we get a feesh caught in there tomorrow?!

Day 3 We had our best day yet today as far as numbers go. It was our last day of the spring though. I'm worn slick from catching bait, driving around, running lines and cleaning feesh.

We caught 7 channies, a 7, 20, 32, 38 and 43.

And I've figured out my hook bending problem.  I tried a new technique on my lines by adding bungee cords to them. In the process of this, I convinced myself that meant I could take the 'play' out of my line and make them tighter, having the bungees absorb the fish's fighting. Well, I was wrong. We bent a THIRD hook out today. I've only ever had it happen one time before, and it was obvious that fish had hung on a stump and pulled from the pressure on the stump.

We had a great time, and got two of our friends their new personal bests. I LOVE watching new folks fight fish! Just too much fun! 

So, in our three day set, we caught a 3, 7, 20, 25, 32 , 32, 38, 43, 44 and 49. 10 flats for 293 pounds I believe is how it comes out.

Total 10 flats, 30 channies and 1 big 38 pound buff.

Parker

Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
Wait a sec!!!!! A 43 lb. Channel Cat!!!!! Where the heck is the picture of that one!?!?!?!?!   :hammer:
Formerly known as Goosedown1