Author Topic: A little gloat I have to share with you guys  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
A little gloat I have to share with you guys
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:18:20 AM »
I recently had the honor of being asked by a couple NWTF regional supervisors to make a call for Dr. James Earl Kennamer, as a gift to commemorate a recent hunt they had with him in Kansas.  Dr. Kennamer is the NWTF's Chief Conservation Officer, is an icon of wild turkey conservation, and has forgotten more about turkey and turkey hunting than most experts can claim to know.  Simply getting to make the call for him had me walking pretty tall...

Then this came in the mail today.

And yes, the feather was in the envelope.   :yes:

Now I have the true honor of having Dr. Kennamer order two additional calls for me.  One for his son, and another.  (that could be a secret/gift for his son, so don't spoil the surprise if you know him...I couldn't resist posting this to show you guys)

The real challenge is how much, if any, to charge him.   :huh:  Based on my respect for the man, what I've learned from his writings and what he's done for the turkeys and turkey hunting in general, I'm inclined to do them at no charge.  But I don't want to insult the man either, as he obviously intends to pay.  Regardless, I'll be offering a substantial discount.

And here's the call I made him the first time around.  Osage orange with aluminum, laser engraved, with coffee grounds inlaid in the pot and the striker.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:15:04 AM by theKCtermite »

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Re: A little gloat I have to share with you guys
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:47 AM »
That's quite an honor Aaron! Congratulations to you!
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »
prolly better frame that.  :bigup:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:53 AM »
Yeah Paul, it will be going in a frame and will hang in the shop.   :yes:

BLKDOGS

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »
Thats awsome thanks for sharing

Al

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
That's cool!!! Thanks for sharing.  :bigup:

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
I recently had the honor of being asked by a couple NWTF regional supervisors to make a call for Dr. James Earl Kennamer, as a gift to commemorate a recent hunt they had with him in Kansas.  Dr. Kennamer is the NWTF's Chief Conservation Officer, is an icon of wild turkey conservation, and has forgotten more about turkey and turkey hunting than most experts can claim to know.  Simply getting to make the call for him had me walking pretty tall...

Then this came in the mail today.

And yes, the feather was in the envelope.   :yes:

Now I have the true honor of having Dr. Kennamer order two additional calls for me.  One for his son, and another.  (that could be a secret/gift for his son, so don't spoil the surprise if you know him...I couldn't resist posting this to show you guys)

The real challenge is how much, if any, to charge him.   :huh:  Based on my respect for the man, what I've learned from his writings and what he's done for the turkeys and turkey hunting in general, I'm inclined to do them at no charge.  But I don't want to insult the man either, as he obviously intends to pay.  Regardless, I'll be offering a substantial discount.

And here's the call I made him the first time around.  Osage orange with aluminum, laser engraved, with coffee grounds inlaid in the pot and the striker.  

That is certainly an honor! How do you inlay coffee grounds? Is that a common practice in your call making? What effect does it achieve? I know that's a lot of beginner questions, but I'm really interested in that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:19:28 PM by TheDecoyDude »

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
Congrats, that is awesome. You da man.

Jason

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Sweet!!!! You are really getting your name out and certainly your products are top of the shelf and this just reinforces that! My head would be so swelled up i would not be able to get in my truck!! Congratulations you earned it!!!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Congrats Aaron!!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
Way to go Aaron, I'm proud of you so I know how proud you must be. Top notch stuff there.

Offline MtnValleyBoy

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Wow, really nice!  Keep up the good work!

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
That is certainly an honor! How do you inlay coffee grounds? Is that a common practice in your call making? What effect does it achieve? I know that's a lot of beginner questions, but I'm really interested in that.

I do it from time to time.  It is purely decorative.  I use a small parting tool to create a 1/8" void in the workpiece.  Then I put a little thick CA in the void, then sprinkle in some (unused) coffee grounds.  Kind of push them in with a finger and let the CA dry.  Then come back with medium CA and fill all the little gaps and voids, basically making it so there's no air between the coffee grounds.  Let that dry, then lightly turn the excess off so it is level with the workpiece.

You can use just about anything for a similar inlaid accent.  Ground turquoise, glitter, wood dust...I often use the brass shavings from the local hardware store's key cutting machine.  Here's an example of that.

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »

I do it from time to time.  It is purely decorative.  I use a small parting tool to create a 1/8" void in the workpiece.  Then I put a little thick CA in the void, then sprinkle in some (unused) coffee grounds.  Kind of push them in with a finger and let the CA dry.  Then come back with medium CA and fill all the little gaps and voids, basically making it so there's no air between the coffee grounds.  Let that dry, then lightly turn the excess off so it is level with the workpiece.

You can use just about anything for a similar inlaid accent.  Ground turquoise, glitter, wood dust...I often use the brass shavings from the local hardware store's key cutting machine.  Here's an example of that.

Thanks for the tips :thanks:! btw I visited your website and all I can say is BEAUTIFUL :punk:! :bow: :bow: