Author Topic: Linen micarta  (Read 9810 times)

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Re: Linen micarta
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
BLO= boiled linseed oil.
Found in the paInt aisle of most improvement stores
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Bill

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
BLO Boiled Linseed Oil I got it lowes I don't use it as a finish I use it to soak spalted wood in before I turn it or if a piece of wood is high in moisture I will soak it and it helps push the moisture out

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
BLO Boiled Linseed Oil I got it lowes I don't use it as a finish I use it to soak spalted wood in before I turn it or if a piece of wood is high in moisture I will soak it and it helps push the moisture out
Thanks I just picked some up actually (can't believe I didn't know the abbreviation :stickman1:...) I just cut down some spalted maple! How does it work, could you explain a little more? I assume it acts like a stabilizer...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:15:58 PM by TheDecoyDude »

Bill

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
I cut the wood into a call blank mine 4 inches long I have a pint jar I have half full of blo I then put the blank in the jar and flip the jar every 12 hours for a week to 10 days then when I take the blank out of the jar I just set it aide and let dry for a week then turn as you normally would
Kind of a cheap way to stabilize spalted wood

I hope this helps