Author Topic: Linen micarta  (Read 9871 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Linen micarta
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »
Had a repeat customer send me two chunks of linen micarta.  One for me, one for him.  He was deployed to Kosovo for the last year so he bought the stuff online when he was there, and he's bought so many calls from me I told him just to send me a chunk and I'd make him a call from it.  Just wanted to give the guy something to look forward to once he got back to the states.  He sent me a chunk for my own use, which I thought was nice. 

This is my new favorite material.  Smells awful and makes a ton of dust.  Hard to work, but look at how cool it looks when done.  I'm wet sanding it, then buffing it, then wiping it with BLO.  The band is stainless, all polished up.  The gutsert and the band are downstairs right now with the JB Weld setting up.  I'll post pics of the completed call in the next couple days.

Offline MarshRat

• New Forum Member
  • Marsh Master Custom Calls
    • Marsh Master Custom Calls
Re: Linen micarta
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:46:24 AM »
 :rockon: Nice looking barrel ya got there.
Marsh Master Custom Calls
www.marshmaster.webs.com

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
I like that long band ya got on it. Hurry up and get it finished up so we can see all of it.

You know glue dries faster when you hover over it.   :devil2:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
 :wav1:

Nice looking barrel man.  That is some REALLY cool stuff!  I hear folks talk about it every once in a while.  WHAT IS IT actually?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »
WHAT IS IT actually?

Parker

It is a hard plastic of some sort that has thousands of layers of fabric in it.  It kind of looks like really tightly woven denim with tiny threads.  I also got a chunk of paper micarta from the same guy....That didn't go nearly as well. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Is there something that it is 'normally' used for?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
Not 100% certain, but I think that micarta was developed a long time ago and had similar uses to Bakelite.....Computer motherboards, radio circuitry boards and so on. 

The way I understand it, linen micarta is very tough to get and is pretty expensive. 

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »
Shot in the dark here but isn't micarta another form of phenolic?  I was thinking phenolic is the material and micarta was the brand name.  Like acetal and delrin?
I used to machine a lot of phenolic when I worked in aircraft.  There's a lot of it in the forward cabin area of planes, panel spacers, electronic mounts, and a ton of little annoying parts that just had part numbers and drove me crazy with the dust. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »
I think that's right Jon.  The linen micarta, in the dimensions needed for callmaking, is about as rare as unicorn horn. 

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »

Linen micarta isn't that hard to come by.  There are a few folks that make it still today.  The stuff that is rare as a unicorn horn is the Linen Micarta made with asbestos that was manufactured by Westinghouse.

I have heard that paper micarta likes to split apart, so it doesn't lend itself very well to callmaking.  Linen and canvas micarta do make some nice calls.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »
Brian if you know a source I'd sure appreciate it.  I'd like to get my hands on more of this stuff. 

Here's the finished call. 

Offline crookedneck

• New Forum Member
    • Cross Knives
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
Here is a site that sells the Micarta or G10.  The hard part is finding stuff large enough to turn a call out of.    This site has black and natural micarta in blocks large enough for calls.
http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/micarta.htm#G10-Black

Alot of knife makers have started to use this stuff for knife handles.  It is an extremely durable material.  I believe it was developed originally during the WWII time frame by or for the military.  I believe it was first designed for a type of armor.  This stuff is not very Eco friendly..... according to studies it can be emersed in the ocean for years and pulled out with no sign of break down.

I hope this helps a little.  Other knife making sites might have more options.  The color combos on some of this are awesome.  Just a thought you may be able to laminate some of the thinner pieces together.  Not sure how that would turn out on a lathe though.  I'll hit my Dad up as he uses this stuff alot.

Mike

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:27 PM »
Great looking call. Always love seeing what you come up with and really like your call shape.

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
Nice looking call Aaron!!!! :2up:    Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
I know this must be one of the worst newbie questions, but I can't figure it out... What is BLO? Also where do you get it and is it easy to apply? I know this isn't in the right section so if you want move this message to where it belongs. Whatever the case that is a sweet looking call!  :bow: :bow: :punk: