Author Topic: I like a challange...  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
I like a challange...
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:58 PM »
Had lunch today with the guy I have been getting a bunch of antler from. Gave him those predator calls I made from the Red Stag and he was pretty happy. Then he tells me he really wants a deer grunt made from Axis or Whitetail antler. I tell him those have a 3/4 tennon and will take some major horn and he said. "If you can make one from a typical antler, I'll take 10 of them to start". So....I spend the rest of the day drawing pictures of how I can make a deer grunt from just barely 3/4 OD antler. I came home and did this....
3/4 OD antler, 5/8 bore, 5/8 maple dowel with a 31/64 bore(yep) and a small piece of cocobolo that you barely see.  I plan to use 5/8 delrin for the real deal, this is just a prototype. What do you guys think ?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:46:40 AM by Curmudgeon »
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: I like a challange...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »
I think you got it figured out Richard. It looks good. Don't let him see that little piece of cocobolo or he'll want them all done with that too. LOL.

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:51:32 PM »
Your right !
I don't know why I used a piece of that for the proto-type?
Truthfully I think just about any other wood would look better next to the antler, especialy a lighter wood like Ash.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »
Yeah ash would look good. So would black walnut. I never made one. Do you really need the oring for the flex tube to slide on and hold it?

Make sure you take a picture after you decide which wood to use. I'd like to see it.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
Looks good to me too. Maybe ebony would blend right into the tube for you.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:23:36 AM »
Instead of Delrin or other wood use a piece of walnut and ebonize it.  Then the ebonized walnut will match with the plastic tube.  Google "ebonized walnut" and you will find the formula for making the mixture.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:36 AM »
Good ideas guys! Thanks!
The reason I was thinking delrin was the tube has extreamly thin walls (1/8) for wood. Basicaly I'm thinking a home made gut-sert 5/8 OD, 1/2 ID. I was originaly looking for some brass or copper in 5/8 od. 1/2 ID. The small tube and the wood that you can see are two separate parts. Maybe a  delrin tube and an ebonized walnut stopper?  The o-ring is optional. But you can tell when the tube slides over it and is sitting with the o-ring under the groove in the tube. It does sort of lock in place.
I got the nod from the customer to "go for ten" last night.