Author Topic: make a cartridge whistle  (Read 40309 times)

adrian

make a cartridge whistle
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »
take a used or new cartridge, remove the primer if one is in it.( i use 243 or 308)
i wont insult anyones intelligence re safety with ammunition.
once you have removed the primer, place the shell case in a drill vice and drill a 8mm hole 2 cm from the mouth of the case.

then  clean all burring and any loose metal shavings from this hole. it must be nice and clean to enable you to get any sound. i use a needle file to file the underside of the hole.

take a 3cm length of 8mm dowel. as for the sprig whistle shave the top of the dowel off  so the remains looks like a semi circle of wood.
insert into the shell and push so that the end of the dowel is just visible in the hole you have drilled or is just behind it, you will need to play with it to get the best sound.

then glue this in place.
once set trim, polish and blow.

this photo just gived you an idea of the  shape of the dowel.

and here are two i made today, both 308 and same hole etc but the dowel is in slightly different in each.

and even better they come with a ready made groove for a lanyard.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:44:02 AM by Parker »

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: make a cartridge whistle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
WOW!  Very cool!  Sure seems easy!  My son is looking forward to giving thes a try with me!

I saw one you had earlier with a second hole in it.  Can you talk to us about using it?  Cover it, and not cover it I guess for different tones?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

adrian

Re: make a cartridge whistle
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
parker.
 the one with the second hole in it is an experiment, i am trying to make a sprig whistle out of the rifle brass.
i haven't quiet got it right yet, need to play with the hole size and location more yet.
 but yes it gives two tones.
 when i have got it to sound right i will but the details on here for you.

if you blow with the primer hole uncovered then put your finger over it it will give two sounds as well, but will need a bit more puff to keep the volume.
sounds like your son will be selling these at school......as fast as you make them.