Author Topic: Some of my thoughts on strikers, striker making, tooling, etc. What are yours?  (Read 26805 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
It needs to be solid, I always shove the striker end all the way with glue on it.  I use CA and it grabs quick, so leaving a gap inside is always possible since they are a tight fit, but I haven't noticed a difference in any of them. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Bill

Thanks

Offline the stig

• New Forum Member
When finishing a striker do you want to apply finish to the whole thing or leave the last half inch (the end that meets the slate/glass/aluminum/whathaveyou) or so unfinished and rough it up a bit say with 120 grit to get that raspy hen sound?  sorry if the question isnt worded the best.  one of those things that makes since in my head :huh:
thanks
hunter

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
You do not want finish on the working end, that is for sure.  You can decide how for you want to get down on it.  But, the end needs to be 'clean'.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline muddpuppi

• New Forum Member
    • MUDDPUPPI CUSTOM CALLS
i use a 4 jaw to turn mine...i may go at it a bit backwards from some....i use a 12" long blank to start and make the head of my striker toward the tailstock....i use a 3/4 roughin gouge but thats what im used to...lol....once i get it turned to my liking i sand and finish...then i use a parting tool to cut the peg end...i round it a lil as i cut...typically the striker just drops after cuting through...while im set up i swap the live center for a drill chuck and drill the remainder of the blank for a 2 piece....turnin a 2 piece i glue my peg in first and let sit then i use a collet chuck to hold the peg and turn the top...the peg acts like a mandrel and use a live center to stabilize it...been workin purdy good fer me... :beer:
TAKE A KID HUNTING...THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT...

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Anyone want to talk about strikers?!  Turkey season is coming up quickly!  I've been turning a lot of them lately, and I'm getting wound up about them!

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Our 5 year old granddaughter thinks they are great "magic wands".   The next time we babysit I will try to get a photo of our granddaughter trying to turn her 2 year old brother into a "toad".   :clap:

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
(I am mentioning PSI tooling below because I feel they are a decent tool for a cheaper price than say Sorby, etc.)

Some lathe accessories you might find handy for striker making:

Super Drive Revolving Tailstock Center:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTTS2.html

I see PSI has a tailstock in the same type of setup as the headstock drive mentioned above.  It would be a cool tool to have, but it will not be near as versitile to you as the 60 degree tailstock if you can only afford to get one or the other.  I've turned a lot of strikers, and do not feel this peice of equipment is a NEED for me. 

Parker

I picked up this center this winter.  It still has issues with the set screw holding the spring tensioned point in place, just like the head stock does.

BUT, it is worth the tinkering in the point in my opinion.  This was a great purchase to add to my arsenal.  I really like it a lot.

I got suckered by finding it on Ebay for cheap and free shipping.

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
This spur drive tailstock center is an automatic use for me now when working on strikers.

One piece, I have spur drives on both ends (I have removed the pins that don't want to stay, and just use the spurs to hold my work).

Two piece, I either have my collet chuck holding the bolt that goes into my striker head blank, or I hold the bolt with my 4 jaw chuck. Just depends on which bolt I am using.

I have sawn diagonal cuts into the end of my bolt to give it a little gripping action, and I cover it in one round of masking tape for a tight....twist-on fit. The round of tape only lasts for one head turning.

Two piece strikers have became my norm for a couple reasons. One, folks can run a purpleheart dowel easier than any other striker I can get in the hands of random people. And two, the time saving allows me to do more fun things with the head design rather than spending my time slowly turning the stick to size.

Anyone else got any new updates to this topic?

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls