Author Topic: I'm trying dipping for a finish  (Read 9690 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
I'm trying dipping for a finish
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »
I've been trying to read as much as possible on dipping.  And I just dipped my first two barrels.  One in spar urathane the other in polyurathane.

From what I have read, folks say to use steel wool between coats.  My question is:  how do I know if I need to use steel wool and what is the desired result when using the steel wool?  Am I trying to just lightly scuff the surface, or do I need to hit it pretty hard?

Thanks,
Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: I'm trying dipping for a finish
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
I'm prretty new at wood turning but on antlers there has been no need for steel wool. I use polycrylic and they end up with a glass like finish. So far with wood if they are sanded to a smooth as glass finish I haven't had to steel wool. I did on one call last week. The finish felt rough so I smoothed it up and the second dipping was just like glass. I think it just depends on the wood and how pouris? it is. I'll be curious to see what the experts have to say.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Waccamaw Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Waccamaw Calls  Do It All !!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »
try sanding the piece smooth before the first dip, gently spray with warm water and spin on the lathe and sand one more time (wetting with warm water will raise the grain). Then use a clean lint free cloth and buff the piece a final time to clean it.
then dip in poly, let drip, the lightly blow off the bubbles if any. Set on coated cardboard to cath run off, waith a few minutes then hang to dry.
If you do have any hanging dips at this stage blot them with a paper towel.

Once dry to the touch, dip again and hang.
Yes I know (no sanding between coats). Try it once just to see
Bill
friends don't let friends CNC ... IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »

I assembled a cheap cabinet to store my dipping supplies and hang the calls in.

I dipped them for the second coat tonight.  The first coat looked pretty good.  I didn't try to raise the grain before the first dip.  Just used my normal sanding ritual and buffing ritual.  The grain didn't raise on either call.  The finish was smooth, and didn't have any dust on it.  I've caught the drips so far, and I'll post a closeup pic of them tomorrow night.

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:15:29 AM »
That's a fine looking cabinet and a great idea. I'm sure it will really help keep dust, etc from the freshly dipped surface. I may have to give that a try myself. Thanks for the idea!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
I'm thinking the cabinet would be a great idea for my dusty shop too.  Thanks for posting that idea.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
I dip almost all of my calls. I use laquer (Deft) and Spar for everything. I dip everything twice, with a few hour between. Then I let the calls sit for a few days, and let the finish get really hard. Then I'll spin them on the lathe and lightly hit them with very fine steel wool, just to scratch them up and level them out a bit. Then one more dip and a few days to dry.

Now for the big trick. I alway cut my dipping material by 50% with a thinner (Laquer thinner for Deft, and Turpentine for Spar). This allows the material to run off of the calls, and I don't get so many drips the occur late. I also add 1oz per quart of Japan drier to the spar, which helps the drying process alot.

Hope this helps.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
Lots of good information there!  I bought Mineral Spirits to cut something, and I thought it was the Spar.  Is that right?  I'm gonna have to start mixing and playing soon.  This sounds like SUCH a better way to get a nice finish on calls.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:35:57 PM »
I am going to try some Spar Varnish next, as well as some polyacrylic.  I didn't cut the finishes with anything yet, and I'll try that next. 

I think I am going to move the shelf in the cabinet up a few holes, and then add another shelf above the quarts of finish.  That way I'll have a double decker dipping cabinet ;D

Bob, are you using Spar varnish or Spar urathane?

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
Spar Urethane. Works like a champ.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
Another way to control dust is to turn a styrofoam cooler upside down over your turnings while they dry. The styrofoam will attract the dust & keep it off your turnings. HTH
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »
I use a box that has one side that is a AC filter.  It allows air to move inside of the box, sort of like BigB's wall cabinet, except it has a wall with that has the AC filter.  Just built a couple of weeks ago out packing crate so far so good.  If I ever get a chance I will put a micro computer equipment fan so that it works as an exhaust allowing a little more air movement though out the box.  With a fan the pulling air though the filter and exhausting the fumes out of the box it should only have to run for an hour or so.  Really an ugly thing but like I said it works.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
Marvin, that is a great idea. I'm going to have to try some of these ideas.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:06 PM »
Here are the barrels before the finish:

Here are the results after the two coats:

The finish on the left is the poly and the finish on the right is the spar urathane. 

I am not quite satisfied with the poly.  I didn't thin it, and that may be a bit of the problem.  It didn't have any runs in it, but there were areas that didn't get an even finish coat.  I rotated the barrels 180 degrees between dips in an attempt to prevent this, but I still saw them just on the poly barrel.

Here's my hanger setup:

I may have to rethink my hangers.  I thought that a tension fit may work well, but it leaves some nasty clumps in the barrel where the hanger was touching.

Will thinning the poly or spar resolve this, or is it a problem with my hangers?

Overall, I think the spar is winning at this point.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:04:49 PM by BigB »

Offline Waccamaw Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Waccamaw Calls  Do It All !!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »
very very nice !!
friends don't let friends CNC ... IN GOD WE TRUST