Author Topic: Drilling acrylic - comparing jobber bits to Abbeon drill bit  (Read 4223 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Drilling acrylic - comparing jobber bits to Abbeon drill bit
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »

I've been wanting to compare a couple drill bits on how well they drill cast acrylic.  And I finally had some time to do it tonight.  I had some blue cast acrylic that I cut into two blanks 3 inches long each.  One blank was drilled with a 5/8" Abbeon drill bit specifically designed for plastics and the other blank was drilled with a 5/8" jobber bit.  I used ATF as well while drilling.  The bits weren't brand new, but had probably only been used 20 times or less.  One thing that I have learned with drilling cast acrylic is to let the drill bit work itself into the acrylic rather than forcing the bit through the blank.  You get a much cleaner hole if you do it that way.  I also drill a depth of about .30" to .40" a time, depending on how the acrylic ribbons are coming out of the drilled hole.  If the ribbons don't have any ATF on them, then the bit will get really hot and you will start getting some crazing.  I was able to drill a bit deeper each time with the Abbeon drill bit, since it seemed to hold the ATF around the cutting surface longer.  With the jobber bit, the first ribbons that were drilled would lift away all of the ATF from the cutting surface very quickly, leaving hardly any fluid left in the hole.

Here are the drill bits on top of each blank that they drilled.  The jobber bit is on the left, and the Abbeon bit is on the right.

And here is a bit more closer view of the two holes in each blank.

The two holes have relatively the same smoothness, but the Abbeon just might be a little bit smoother.  The smoothness doesn't show up very well in the pics, but to my eyes, I have to give the nod to the Abbeon.  Another thing I like about the Abbeon bit is the fact that you can drill a bit further at a time, and it doesn't sling oil all over the place.  The jobber bit ribbons lift all of the ATF away from the cutting edge, and when they surface at the top of the hole, they sling the oil all over the place.

So, that's my opinion on these two drill bits used for drilling acrylic.  If anyone else has tried both bits on acrylic, I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Drilling acrylic - comparing jobber bits to Abbeon drill bit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
It must be my old eyes because the jobber bit hole looks like it has less lines in it to me.
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline ninthinning

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
Really enjoy your experiments, you have keen scientific mind.  Keep up the interesting work.
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Free lifetime tuning, repair and materials on all the calls I have made and all I will make.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
I have to agree with BigB.   The acrylic bits do a better job. 

Very nice review.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.   I'm sure it will give a lot of call makers something else to put on their "I gotta get me one of those" list.

Al @ THO

Offline daren99

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
Great review, and information. :bigup:

Thank you,
Daren

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
 :thanks: I wondered about that my self I don't do too much acrylic but just kind of started trying some. Thanks for the heads up on the bits!

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
Where do you buy the bits? How long are the flutes?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

Braz, here is where I got mine.   The flutes are about the same size as the standard jobber bits.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
Whoops, forgot the link.  :rofl:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »

yep, I forgot the link.  here it is.

http://www.abbeon.com/store/item.cfm?code=2011

Brian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:01:52 AM by BigB »