Author Topic: Explaination for Broken in/worn in guts?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Theo Schrader

• New Forum Member
  • Cupped-n-Committed Calls
Explaination for Broken in/worn in guts?
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:58:16 PM »
What exactly does it mean for a gut to be broke/worn in? I have been looking at different gut sets and saw webfoot sells these sets.

I took a shot and ordered a SR6 gut and can not get it tuned right... I have a Zink paralyzer that I have been using for 6years and I really like its low end sounds. The gut in it looks similar to shell creeks SC2 minus the angle. Any suggestions on a gut that would sound similar?
Cupped-n-Committed Crew

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Re: Explaination for Broken in/worn in guts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
I the loosest terms possible, broke in guts are just that.  "Used" just doesn't sound as good.
I don't know the WEBFoot worn in guts, so i can't give an opinion directly. 
Worn in guts will have a spot on the tone board that the reed has worn.  It could be a machine sharp ledge or just the finish looks different. 
If you have a couple reeds to burn up you can wear in a set of guts with a shop vac.

The angle of the tone board on a set of short Reed guts means everything.  You can have two guts that look the same but change the angle 1 or 2 degrees and they will run differently.
hope this makes things less muddy.
Jon
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »
Broke in guts are like a broke in pair of boots, everything fits better when they been broke in.  The reed is worn and so are the gut pieces, only a minute change, but the same with a pair of boots, after you have worn them a couple of times they just fit better. 

Like was said, hook up a vacuum exhaust and shoot some air in to the call, they will become worn in or broke in.  I have heard of people making call bodies just for that purpose, where a vacuum exhaust hose fits the end of the call barrel.  I have never seen one set up, but curiosity killed the cat so I tried it, it made noise.  So the theory does work.  But take it all with a grain of salt, I am not much of a goose call maker.  Just not much need for them in arid west Texas. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline RedemptionCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Contrary to what people are saying that worn in guts dont sound as good, its quite the opposite. Worn in guts will give you more sound consistency as the body of the guts is already changed therefore, is not worn down more over time like a fresh set would be. Everything fits together better and it gives you more control of the call. Deffinatley much more useful in the competition setting than the hunting setting.