Author Topic: Mandrel and chuck picture dictionary  (Read 22450 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Mandrel and chuck picture dictionary
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
There's a bunch of different mandrels and chucks out there for turning game calls.  I'm going to start a post to hopefully put some pics with the names.

Pin lock mandrel with a collet chuck

MT2 Expandable mandrel

MT2 Pen mandrel

Pen mandrel with home made wedges to turn larger bores than 7mm

MT2 Crush lock mandrel

MT2 Keyless Jacobs chuck (or a drill bit chuck)

Collet chuck

Collet chuck with an expandable mandrel

Nova chuck

^^^ knuckle buster mode  ^^^

There's quite a few more types of mandrels and chucks out there.  So feel free to post up the other types so we can have them all in one location for future reference.

Brian

** edited for better pics
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:33:29 AM by BigB »
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Mandrel and chuck picture dictonary
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
Nice post Brian. All I have is a collet chuck. Looking forward to seeing what others post here.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:29:54 AM »
Great post Brian. This should be real helpful for a lot of the new guys. I have the same ones you have, so don't have any additional to add.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:12 AM »
I like my Nova for certain instances.  You should add, "Nuckle Buster" to the end of that photo/term.   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »
Great Post!  I would love to put this one out in the Tutorial Section also if that is OK.

Here is a Oneway Tallon Chuck with Modified Step Jaws.  Modified in that they have been filed a bit to allow seating of the metal bands I make on them.

AL @ THO

Offline nebo

• New Forum Member
  • Blow's just an expression
    • http://www.myspace.com/nebogamecalls
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
Great helpfull post.

Here is a 2 jaw (sometimes) self centering chuck, with my homemade madrel.

I would be willing to bet that no body has one like it. Old school rocks!!! ;D

Neel

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »
Neel, I love the old shool stuff!!

Al, if you are going to make it a tutorial, then I'll go and take some better pictures of the stuff I have.

I think Marvin has some pics of some full length pin lock mandrels with a keyed Jacobs chuck that would go great in this thread as well.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Waccamaw Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Waccamaw Calls  Do It All !!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »

here is a tip for the above mandrel or for any expanding mandrel that uses the allen screw spreader:
sooner or later you will "bottom" out the allen screw which will result in stripping the head.
Use a dremel tool with the thin cutting disc, follow the cuts in the mandrel (only two opposing cuts).
This will cut a flat screwdriver slot in the allen screw, allowing the screw to continue the expanding operation.
friends don't let friends CNC ... IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
I just caught your sig line.   Funny stuff  :)

Good tip on the mandral too.

Al @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
Here is the Jacobs chuck and with a full length pin lock mandrel.  With this one you have to use the tailstock unless you have a chuck with a drawbar.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Here are some specialty mandrels.

The first one I made for Richard Grantham, it has a 1/2" end for the Jacobs chuck, a 5/8" pin lock center and a 1/4" end that goes to the tailstock that has a 60 degree center dimple.  I got this mandrel back when he sold all of his equipment.  Now it is one of my most prized possessions.

This mandrel was made for my deer grunt flutes, it has various steps to take into account the step drilling of the bore of the flute.

The turkey trumpet mandrel.  This one got me into more hot water than they have in a Japanese bathhouse.  The one on the left has a 5/8" shank and the a cut down to the #2MT end that goes into the bell of the trumpet.  The small rod is the mandrel that fits into the top or tailstock end of the trumpet blank, it also has a 60 degree center dimple in one end.

I don't think I need to post the no mandrel method, it is on the archives somewhere in this part of the forum.  If I do I have it saved,

Marvin

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
GREAT POST!!!! My next big buy will be the collet chuck and them Marvin's or Chad's mandrels, what the heck, maybe both....I have the mini Nova that I use alot. It's not quite the knuckle buster of the bigger one, it's just a knuckle cracker. I also have the Barracuda set that I like. THAT thing is a knuckle buster. OH hey, I just remembered this little tip I discovered. For a little cushioning in your jaw type chucks, get ahold of one fo the serpentine belts with the grooves running lengthwise along it. I use the old ones left over from my car fixing days, The grooves will sit nicely in the jaws and the flat side will give you grip and cushioning for those times when you need to get hold of a piece and don't want the jaw marks. Just cut the belt with snips so it wraps around the piece with a bit of a gap for tightening. I also suggest you slow down your speed a bit. ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:42:12 PM by Heirloom »
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »
The Braz mandrel, named after our own board member Braz.  It saves wear and tear on your drill bits.  It looks like the standard sanding mandrel, the difference it that the tailstock end is drill with a 3/8" hole that is 3/8" deep.  First you drill the exhaust bore to the depth you want.  then mount the blank.

With the blank mounted on the mandrel and using a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock you are able to drill perfectly centered holes for your reed.  Then you can change to a larger drill bit to create a mini air chamber in the mouth piece, myself I prefer about 3/8" by 3/8" deep.  The recessed reed gives the caller better control over blowing the call.

I know some use this type of mandrel to also turn their calls.  I do not recommend it, since you are not getting any support from your tailstock while turning and you are putting a side force on the bearings of the lathe.  This is fine if you have one of the larger lathes, but the mini and midi lathes do not have large enough spindles and bearing to take this abuse.  These lathes were designed more for spindle work with the support of the tailstock.  The bearings will not crash in a few weeks or months, it is not a panic situation.  But you do need to know that your are putting excess pressure on your bearings and spindle. If any one wants the complete pictorial of this mandrel in use I will post it or send them a link.

Marvin 

builderone

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
Here are a few mandrels that I started today they are all pin locks that people wanted in various sizes and designs. I will post pic's of completed ones sunday or monday I will be hunting Satarday. Some are for use with the tailstock some are without. Everyone has there own thing that they are looking for so I make them to what they want. Out of all the tools that I have bought or made the mandrels I believe make the biggest diffrence in my call making. If you need one send me a PM I Can get them Done in a few days time and shipped out Most can be done the same day.
Chad

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
I see the collet chuck is the preferred method for use with most of these mandrels.  I have made some of my own pin lock mandrels using 5/8" oak dowels.  They work fine for light shaping and are great for sanding/polishing.  Not sure I need a collet just yet.  What I'm looking for is a pin-lock style mandrel with a #2MT for the head stock end and dimpled for the live center end.  Does this thing exist or can anyone make one?

Mutt~
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail